Left 4 Dead

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by soLoredd, Nov 10, 2008.

1. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

Anyone playing the demo for Left 4 Dead on a MacBook Pro (early 08)? Just curious as to how it plays as I'm deciding between the MBP or 360.

2. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

If you have a live gold account, I'd say 360 so you can co-op online.

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Don't know how to break it to you but the PC has online too, and co-op :D With no charge to play online.

I don't know the performance of the MBP but I've played a demo on a machine that runs TF2 at 1680x1050, max settings at 30fps. It runs L4D at the same but everything set to medium at 30fps. A MBP should have no problems running it. Get it for PC without any doubt to get free maps and extras.

4. hankolerd macrumors 6502

hankolerd

The MBP should be fine. I am downloading it now, I will try to remember to let you know how it runs on my iMac, the MBP should run it much better. :apple:

5. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Quite right :D Which is why I'm assuming most people prefer the online experience of the xbox to the PC. If not, they can go with the PC version :D

6. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

What about controls and performance?

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

The PC version offers the comprehensive Steam lobby system with (likely) thousands of busy servers with unofficial maps, mods and server tweaks too.
    I've never heard of people preferring Xbox Live to something as comprehensive as Steam.

8. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

I've heard of someone preferring a couch to a desk chair. ;)

9. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

I've also heard of the logical possibility of playing PC games on a couch ;)

10. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

He has both. Why would he have his PC hooked up to his TV if he's got a 360?

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm sorry what does that have to do with Xbox Live?

12. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Casual gamers and their couch. Go figure. :)

Anyways, I'm downloading the demo for my PC, I hope this game is good -- which chances are it will be.

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Aw, you should have mentioned earlier. I had a US demo pass from last week I could have sent your way.

14. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

That's OK, but thanks for the offer. :) I've been busy with work, so I haven't been able to play many games at home for the past week.

This demo is GREAT. I'm getting my arse handed to me on expert. This is worth BUYING!!!

15. soLoredd thread starter macrumors 6502a

My biggest reason for wanting it on the PC is the Steam lobby system (as someone alluded to already) instead of the confusing matchmaking that is Live. Have to be honest, my last few games over Live (CoD4 and BF Bad Company) weren't exactly fantastic experiences.

16. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

In that case, sounds like you should go PC. I've never experienced steam so I wrongly assumed live would be better. Enjoy!

17. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

The game is going to be amazing. I've beat the demo on expert five times now with my buddies. The demo keeps getting better everytime!

The game is so well optimized too - I'm running it on max settings at 2560 x 1600 with my Mac Pro with an 8800GT. No lag. Such amazing game!

18. k3lit0 macrumors newbie

Hey I was wondering, how did you get L4D to run on your mac? I'm using the 24" imac (lesser of the two) and I can't get it to run.

I tried it in crossover, it opens but all the text and options are blurry and unreadable, and when I try to join a game(any type) it locks up on the loading screen. I tried it in Boot Camp and when I watch the opening video it bugs out at the same point every time, and if I skip that and get to entering a game(text isn't blurry, btw) it enters for about 5 seconds and then freezes and closes.

Is there anything I should be doing differently? I never use boot camp but I did install it and the drivers, and Crossover usually works pretty well for running other Valve games(source ones, portal and hl2...)

Thanks in advance, and sorry for mucking up your thread with a lame question :X

19. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

Im running it at 20ish with 1680x1050 on the Core Duo Macbook Pro. Med on all settings.

The whole house is playing left 4 dead. Good times to be a college student.

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Yea, skip out on Crossover and go to Bootcamp. The performance increase over the games you have working in Crossover will be great and it will run newer games like L4D. L4D should run quite well on your system in Bootcamp.

21. k3lit0 macrumors newbie

Yea I tried it in bootcamp and it still gives me problems, can't watch the opening cinematic and when I enter a game it crashes without any errors. I'm really not sure what I could be doing to correct that, is this sort of thing normal at all? Is there some driver I might need to run games? I followed the instructions to install XP and bootcamp.. :(

ty for the reply

22. yehgermeister macrumors newbie

i'm running this in bootcamp on a early '08 mbp (winxp 32bit) and was wondering what other peoples' settings are and graphics drivers they're using.

23. mknawabi macrumors 6502

mknawabi

If you have the choice to play an FPS on a PC versus a 360, especially a Valve-made FPS, choosing the 360 over the PC s a dumb dumb idea.

24. Dan.Dare macrumors member

25. MojoWill macrumors 6502

left 4 dead is a terrible game! downloaded the 360 demo it was rubbish not because it was on 360 but because it was a rubbish game!