Left fan extremely loud

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iPad Retina, Feb 20, 2015.

1. iPad Retina macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

Hello my fan has been running loud, only the left side, the right side is normal, could it just be dust? Can this be fixed, it will it have to be replaced? I have a mid 2012 MacBook Pro retina 15'

2. Mik3F macrumors 6502

If you don't mind opening it up you can easily check for a build up of dust on the fans and clean as required using compressed air

3. iPad Retina thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

Its near impossible to find the screwdriver to open this, without buying the screw driver online

4. iPad Retina thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

5. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

It is dust and a defective bearing. Replace it with a new fan. iFixit (see below) sells the necessary parts.

(For european/UK MBP users: I can recommend the Power4Laptops shop (via Amazon). Make sure you buy the Power4Laptops original Apple parts, not the "same" parts from other sellers on Amazon!)

I replaced the left fan of my Early 2011 MBP 17" in May 2014. No problems (the fan was brand new). I found the part number on the back of the fan (removed only the three TORX 6 screws). I can recommend WIHA screwdrivers.

Other notes:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=19320104#post19320104
    https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+15-Inch+Retina+Display+Mid+2012+Left+Fan+Replacement/9719
    https://encrypted.google.com/search?q=15+mbp+2012+left+fan+replacement

6. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

My 15" mid 2012 rMBP had a similar problem with one of the fans. As already mentioned it is likely a bad bearing and will need to be replaced.

7. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Not necessarily replaced...

The left fan in my MBP had bad bearing too and it was driving me nuts; it was so irritating! So I opened up the MBP, removed the fan, opened up the fan enclosure, popped the propellor off, and oiled it. (I used some soybean-based oil) I did this last August or September. The fan has been running quiet and normal ever since, and it has been 5 or 6 months. :)

The propellor is firmly held in so it feels like it wont come off without breaking, but by gently working it it finally popped off. Don't worry about it; if it breaks then just replace it, because you were going to do hat anyway. :)

8. Queen6, Feb 24, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2015

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Happens to all MBP`s over time, the fan may well just need cleaning nothing more. I still have one 15" from Early 2008 and it`s on it`s second set of fans and in need of a third set, equally it`s spent significant time in the desert & tropics...

All just depends on what gets sucked in to the cooling system or if a bearing fails prematurely. You can always take the Notebook to Apple, they have been known to be benevolent to some owners.

Q-6