Left Fan Noise?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by airjuggernaut, Mar 10, 2009.

1. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

Hey everyone,

I have a First Gen MBP that has gone under numerous repairs (the left and right fan being one of the repairs).

I'm just wondering.

On all of your Last-Gen MBP's, is the left fan, exclusively audible?

I don't really hear my right fan at all, unless if I stick my ear to the right side of the laptop.

But the left fan is always making noise (not loud, but audible) when using it normally on my lap or on a desk.

Is this normal?

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

I had to get my fans replaced 2 or 3 times in my original MBP.

4. tecknical macrumors regular

my MBP (early 08) had to get its right fan replaced cause of grinding noises. so far its doing good

5. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Noisy fans

I have the new Late 2008 MacBook Pro Unibody, and I noticed an irritating buzzing noise from the leftside fan and a little from the rightside. I took it to the Apple store, and they said that the Apple fans are a design that puts a lot of stress on the ball bearings, and eventually they are either knocked out of alignment, or they simply gather dust until they conk out or start to cough. I asked if it was normal, and they said that all of the Apple fan except for the ones in the Mac Pro and the 17" MacBook Pro have these old fans that run on ball bearings and are loud. However, the two exceptions above have a type of fan that uses a magnetic field to hold the fan blades in place, and therefore have almost no sound whatsoever. They are ridiculous, around 50 dollars for one fan, but I guess that they are worth it, especially since they add an additional 1000 RPM to the maximum fan speed...

6. airjuggernaut thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm fed up with the number of repairs I've had to have done on this MBP.

I'm gonna call Apple Customer Relations and give them a piece of my mind! :mad: