Left handed mouse with programmable thumb buttons

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tfen, Jan 22, 2010.

1. tfen macrumors newbie

I'm looking for a left handed/ambidextrous wireless mouse with programmable thumb buttons for my mom so she can use a cad program. She can only use her left hand due a stroke.

It needs to have two thumb buttons, and a wired one would suffice, but wireless would be much better.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

2. jtara macrumors 65816

If you want wireless, there's only one left-handed mouse that I know of - the Logitech MX610.

Plusses:

- true left-handed, contoured shape, feels very natural in hand.

- 7 extra buttons, 5 on top, two on right side.

- Two LEDs, intended for "mail waiting" and "IM waiting"

Minuses:

- Typical Logitech quality. I have to replace mine apx. every 6 months due to button failure.

- 2.4 gHz and not very interference-proof. I haven't had any trouble with WiFi or Bluetooth interfering, but it wigs-out when I run the microwave oven.

I dunno about "programmability". I don't think you can really program the mouse itself, but there is third-party software for Windows that lets you assign the buttons to anything you'd like, but I imagine that's in the software. I assume there is similar software for the Mac.

I just have mine on my Linux system, and control my Macbook using Synergy keyboard and mouse-sharing software, and haven't tried to do anything fancy with it. When I used to have a dedicated Windows system, I did use uberOptions, which patches SetPoint and allows the sort of thing I think you are looking for.