Left handed Mouse

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by TuffLuffJimmy, Dec 13, 2008.

?

Which hand do you use your mouse in?

1. Left

6 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Right

24 vote(s)
    80.0%
  1. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I'm just curious as to how many people use mice in their left hand. I was looking at some old macintosh pictures and a lot of them have the mouse on the 'other' side. I'm left handed, yet I have grown up with right handed mice and it feels awkward to use a mouse in my left hand now.

Does anyone out there use mice in their left hand, or has everyone conformed to a right handed world?

2. Bill P. macrumors regular

I use my left hand at work and my right hand at home. I like to mix it up and it is instructive realizing how you can adapt to both!

You need to amend you pole to add the option for both....?

3. TuffLuffJimmy thread starter macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

ugh, sorry I don't know how to edit a poll short of bothering a moderator.

4. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

I think I voted left, but my primary is right.

I used to work at a heavy equipment dealer doing new unit assembly and customer care. I used my mouse left handed there all the time. When I was on the phone, I could take notes on paper and easily manipulate the computer. This was quite a few years ago, but its a habit I keep still, often using my mouse left handed when using a digital pad in the other hand when I do design work or still if I have a client on the line. I still keep paper notes, but digitize what I need.

5. smurfjammer macrumors 6502a

smurfjammer

I use the mouse with my right hand and I'm left handed - I think it was caused by using the mouse on PC's that was curved for right handed people and felt odd in my left hand but that was before I knew better :D

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I've use the left hand before, but it take as few minutes to get used to it. Of course the other issue is my mice are all ergonomically designed for the right hand.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Although left handed, I use a mouse with my right hand. It stems from first using a mouse on the right hand side of the computer. Never occurred to me to move it to the left side. :rolleyes:

8. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

I've on occasion used a mouse in my left hand. Some Dell or Microsoft mice fit either hand, as they are symmetrical. However, I'm right handed so I just enjoy my Revolution mouse right now.

9. Rt&Dzine, Dec 14, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2011

Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

10. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

It's supposedly more ergonomic to use the mouse in your non-dominant hand. I've tried but, as when I tried one of those ergonomic keyboards, gave up since I actually needed to get work done.

I wouldn't read anything from pictures of people using a mouse in their left hands. Images get flipped all the time if someone thinks it looks better. Just last week, I glanced at a magazine my wife was reading, which had a half page picture of someone using a MacBook. All the ports were down the right side of the computer.

(Incidentally, my wife rolled her eyes when I commented on it ... and suggested it might be like the way you have cars with steering wheels on the right in the UK and Australia, giving me the opportunity to roll my eyes back. The Apple logo was airbrushed out so I couldn't prove conclusively to her satisfaction that the image was flipped.)

11. Rt&Dzine, Dec 15, 2008
  12. gotzero macrumors 68040

I am more or less fully ambidextrous, but I write with my left hand.

Like most things, when it was easier, I ended using the right handed stuff. I frequently switch which hand I use with my laptop's trackpad without even thinking about it, but I always use a mouse right handed even through using it on the left side only slows me down if I am out of practice.

If handedness were evenly distributed and it was easy to get both, I would probably keep a left and right handed mouse around depending on what I was doing, but since I do not want to be limited to what is made for leftys, I just use the right handed mice.

13. Rt&Dzine, Dec 16, 2008

Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

So far in this thread, it appears that most of the "lefties" are ambidextrous.

14. bjorn989 macrumors member

I laughed out loud at that one because I do the exact same thing all the time. I went to the Sex and the City Movie with my girlfriend and to pay her back for watching that rubbish I pointed out every single Apple product in the movie. The thing that is even funnier is that it seems to have rubbed off and she does it too...

As for left handedness, I am very Left handed in all aspects of my life except for using the mouse and playing guitar. I put it down to discrimination against us lefties...

I find it far more comfortable to rest my chin in my left hand to be honest... Hadn't really thought about it that much until then.

15. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

I use my mouse with my left hand (I am a sinistral), but the buttons are the right handed set up. I just got used to it, and it means I can use anyones computer just by switching the mouse over to the otherside of the keyboard.

16. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Same here. Right handed, but use mouse on left side. Allows me to use the numeric keypad more easily. I may have started when gaming years ago, but I've done it this way for 20+ years. It annoys me no end that there are no ergonomic left-handed mice, btw.