Left MacBook Pro in the rain

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by happle, May 23, 2013.

1. happle macrumors 6502a

Jun 20, 2010
    So I left my $2,700 2012 unibody (non retina), high res, ssd, 2.4gHz i7 MacBook Pro out in the rain. I let it dry in rice for two days. Today I took the entire thing apart including the logic board and dried everything as well as cleaned some parts with alcohol. Things were looking good, but I got it all back together and nothing...not even the light when I plug the charger in.

My question is...what should I do with it? Is it probably the logic board? Is it worth fixing? Can I sell it? Any pointers in the right direction? I have no clue what to do.
  2. A Hebrew macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

Jan 7, 2012
    Take it to an Apple Store. See what the 'Genius' says and get an estimated cost of repair. There might be a small chance that you just hooked something up wrong. If not, it will be spendy.
  3. B... macrumors 68000

Mar 7, 2013
    It is probably the logic board, maybe a HD faliure as well. You should call Apple and ask them how much to fix-it will be a lot, around 700-1200 USD. But at least it will give you an idea. While you're at it, dry it in rice for a few more days (two days wasn't enough) and try again in a week or two to be safe.
  4. happle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jun 20, 2010
    the light wouldnt even turn on when i connected the charger which leads me to believe at the very least the magsafe board is fried and most likely the logic board.

how much is a logic board for a late 2012 non retina 15" MBP?

on a side note: i just bought an ipad because i need something for a business trip im going on and i wasnt sure if i wanted to buy a MacBook Air or a ipad. i cant afford another top of the like 15" MBP. plus i have a beastly hackintosh that i use for all my hefty audio production work. i bought the MBP before that.
  5. bobcan, May 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2013

bobcan macrumors 6502a

Jan 8, 2007
    Sunny but Cold.. Canada
    I cannot speak AT ALL on their Quality of Work, but I did read something about them once and saved a Link because of it.. Might be worth a try at least, as pricing is NOT ridiculous vs. Apple Repair which was over $900 (mine was AppleCare) on my 2007 that died!! Good Luck :apple:

6. pragmatous macrumors 65816

May 23, 2012
    I hope you got applecare+ ...

7. xPurpleblob macrumors regular

Jun 29, 2011
    apple care plus doesn't exist for laptops lmao
  8. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Oct 19, 2011
  9. iPhonesandMacs macrumors regular

Oct 11, 2012
    no such thing for macs...
  10. ValSalva macrumors 68040

Jun 26, 2009
    Burpelson AFB
    My condolences. You must have felt awful when you discovered that! I agree with above posters. Take it to the Apple store and at least get a quote. You might be pleasantly surprised. Good luck!
  11. fskywalker macrumors 65816

Nov 6, 2009
    You can also check a site called liquidspill, heard they are good.
  12. dazlicous macrumors 6502a

Jun 2, 2011
    Think if this was me I be having trip over with it and claiming off my house insurance :D but hopefully it won't cost the earth to get it repaired by Apple.

Take it in to a Genius Bar and you might get a shock it's something simple