Left my iPad on the airplane

Discussion in 'iPad' started by snouter, Aug 29, 2010.

1. snouter macrumors 6502a

I really do not typically lose things, so I really did not think this was a possibility, but I kinda woke up nappy groggy and the thing is so slim and fits in the seat pocket so nicely... anyhow... gone.

Still hoping that someone tries to contact me. My email addresses are pretty easy to see in the email app. I even pushed a .pdf called please_return_my_iPad.pdf with my phone number in it to my Dropbox (the only account I have not changed the password on, yet.)

Spent all morning changing all of my email passwords and my iTunes and my mlb.com and my kindle and my amazon 1 click and my twitter and my Evernote and every account I can think of.

Of course, now that I have lost it, I read that there are a lot of things I could have done to make it easier to locate and that even mobile.me could reset it, even though I have no interest in a mobile.me account. I could have set it so you had to enter a passcode to open it, but, that would have actually made it HARDER for someone to open it and see my 10 email address in the email app.

I guess my question is, is there anything else I can do to either push messages to it, or reset it or kill it?

I have the box right here with the serial number. Can Apple put a note on my serial number that if anyone tries to service it or whatever that it's not theirs? Or if that serial number joins iTunes not to let it?

My number 1 priority is making sure my accounts are safe. After that, I would like to do something to prevent the person who now has it from enjoying it as much.

Thanks.

I'm kinda bummed, but, it's my fault, so, what can I do? Kindle and iPod app and movies was killin' it on the airplane too :(

If you travel, label the thing with your contact info, and look into the various apps that help you track it down if you lose it.

I either need Delta to step-up (I filed a lost claim) or a good Samaritan to emerge.

2. kim2272 macrumors regular

kim2272

If you had MobileMe you could track your iPad's location and send it messages. You could reset the ipad as well so no one could get your information, but you would lose the location of the ipad.

You should consider MobileMe with your ipad (if you end up recovering it)

Good luck!

3. snouter thread starter macrumors 6502a

I bet the person who has was like...

4. snouter thread starter macrumors 6502a

I had a lot of Pete Rock, Squarepusher and Aphex Twin on there.

They are going to get some great tunes if nothing else. :p

5. stark4 macrumors 6502

I really really don't understand why a person can forget their iPad on the plane. I'm not gonna say anything if it is itouch or similar small device but iPad? You board the plane with it .. you used it in the plane... and you forgot all about it when you get off? come on..!

6. David G. macrumors 65816

As much as I'd like to be able to help you, I don't know much other stuff to do besides what you did. I hope you get it back.

7. SaMaster14 macrumors 6502

Well, if it's a 3G iPad, cant you activate the 3G and find it with GPS?

8. snouter thread starter macrumors 6502a

32gb wifi as in sig

9. snouter thread starter macrumors 6502a

they make you turn devices off 30 minutes before you land

obviously, I should have tossed in my my carry on at that very moment, but I did not

it fits perfectly in the seat pocket and you can't even see it really - it's not at all like I had to climb over my iPad to exit the airplane, it just sits there nice and tidy next to the puke bag

I rarely ever lose anything, so, I'm as shocked as anyone...

I went to bed at 3am, got up a 6am to catch an 8am flight

10. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

It's gone... get on with your life. Seriously, if the plane got reboarded for a continuing flight, your lost iPad could be anywhere in the country by now. If the plane was at it's last stop, then a flight service person (someone who cleans the plane) has it. They MIGHT have dropped it into lost and found. Highly doubtful though. Chances are that the person who got your seat after you left it is enjoying their new iPad.

11. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

First off... it's spelled PLANE, not plan. Secondly... I highly doubt you have never ever made a mistake or forgotten anything important in your life. I can see how he could have left it... his mistake was putting it in the pocket to begin with. When you have bunch of things going through your mind and your tired, it's easy to overlook something. That is why when I'm leaving a plane, I'm usually the last one off. I don't want to feel rushed and forget something.

12. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

I really also don't understand why a person can left out all the 'e' after 'plan' in a post. come on..!

13. snouter thread starter macrumors 6502a

?

What here implies that I am not getting on with my life?

I had to change my passwords to my accounts. I pretty much had to contact the airline. I've filed police reports before in my life, I know how hopeless it is. It's far from a bad idea to push a .pdf to my Dropbox with my contact info.

I know the deal. If someone wanted to send me email, they could get one of my addresses from the email app easily. A lot of people would make some effort to return it. A lot of people (most even?), sounds like you are one of them, would treat it like their special day.

Y'all are a pretty tough crowd. I never asked for pity, I was just wondering if anyone had any obvious ideas. If not, no biggie. I even used humor in several instances during this thread.

14. Tobster3 macrumors 6502

I feel ya! I don't typically lose things either, next month I will be travelling with my iPad for the first time and will be taking extra care not to leave it on the plane.

15. brun019822 macrumors member

Sorry to hear that, but most likely you wont get it back. one of my kids friend his mom works at the airport cleaning the airplanes and they are always finding ipod touch iphones etc..... and guess what they do? they just sell it. its ****ed up what they do btw I cant stand that bitch her ghetto a$$

16. ibosie macrumors 6502

ibosie

I left mine on a British Airways flight from London to Athens. I'm happy to say it was returned to me when I contacted the airport to report the issue. Hopefully you will find honesty like this, good luck.

17. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Sadly, the majority of people would just keep it, we're horrible like that. Humans suck.

Sucks though. I hope it does find it's way back to you, I saw a similar thread on this forum where someone in the same situation did get it back, so I wish you good luck.

18. doobry macrumors regular

This won't make you feel any better but make sure next time you buy a 3G iPad (for tracking etc) get a mobile me account and better still, put a pin code on it.

My ipad has so much personal data on it, I'd **** myself if anyone got hold of it. But I'm comforted that they'd never get into it without the password and if they put it in 5 times wrongly it will instantly wipe itself.. Yes, they get a free ipad but I'll put the IMEI on a watch list and then go buy myself another..

See this as a good reason to upgrade. :)

D

19. Caraj macrumors member

Yeah it sucks. But thanks to threads like this it helps others to remember not to forget their iPad in the seat pocket. I put mine in there but I try to leave a little bit sticking out by crumpling up those magazines under it.

Also the flight crew or cleaning crew has your iPad and without tracking your not getting it back. Sad but that's just the way it is. I lost my new iPod touch this way and a game boy.

20. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

sorry it happened. I'd be pretty upset as well. I hope a good person comes through with it.

21. tmarks11 macrumors 6502

1. Call lost and found at your airline and report it
    2. Call your homeowners/renters insurance and see if you are covered.

No, really. If someone finds this device, and keeps it, that is considered theft. Everywhere. Finders keepers does not apply to a $500 device. Homeowners insurance covers you for theft, even if it isn't from your house.

A previous thread covered this. Same scenario, and his renters insurance covered it. Here is the happy ending (ignoring seven pages of losers castigating him for being idiotic):

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=10042228&highlight=#post10042228

22. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

Unfortunately this, my friend, is the only universal truth.

23. ajax43 macrumors regular

I agree. It absolutely boggles my mind that someone can leave an ipad on a plane. But that's just me I guess. Hope the OP gets it back but based on similar threads I have read on this subject, OP would have better luck getting Megan Fox to service him.

24. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

<Quote> is funny - didn't get it at first but now I do - it's a parody from Snakes on a Plane.

I'm sorry that you left your iPad on a plane; MobileMe is only worth it because of the "Find my iPhone (iPad)" feature - if only that MobileMe was a pay per feature so I could save some money and only pay for the "Find my iPhone" feature...

25. saberahul macrumors 68040

I left mine in the plane too but I did it on purpose... I thought why not let the next person enjoy some lavish games and go through all my financials. They apparently decided it was better to return it to me...