Left my iPhone 4 in the car and..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tianh, Jul 19, 2010.

1. tianh macrumors regular

I was working out today and I left the iPhone in my car. My car was in a parking garage with a little heat. When I returned, the phone had drained 60 percent battery and there was a yellow spot on the bottom right of the screen. The yellow spot quickly went away after a few minutes of usage, but it was definitely there.

Is this normal for a phone to behave like this if exposed to heat?

2. jdwebby macrumors newbie

Don't know a about the phone specifically doing this. But I have left other electronics in the car and had the same effect. I would just becareful not to do that alot. Depending on battery chemistry used u could lessen the life of the battery in hot conditions. Sometimes if it's 100 degrees outside u might be agog least 10-20 degrees hotter in the car in some conditions

3. tianh thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you! I wouldnt think the iPhone drain so much battery and have a messed up screen like that? I mean other people leave their phones in the car sometimes right? haha

4. tianh thread starter macrumors regular

anyone else have anymore information on this?

5. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

Try not to do this, or at least turn it off and let it cool until you turn it back on. Many people have said heat=yellowing. I wouldnt worry
    Take care of you electronics :D

6. tianh thread starter macrumors regular

7. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Environmental requirements
    Operating temperature: 32° to 95° F
    (0° to 35° C)
    Nonoperating temperature: -4° to 113° F
    (-20° to 45° C)
    Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing
    Maximum operating altitude: 10,000 feet (3000 m)

8. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I once left a camcorder in the car during the summer for a couple days. Killed that battery!

This is normal though for most electronics out there. The yellowing is kind of news to me, but the batteries hate the heat.

9. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Yeah, I've seem similar issues with an LCD screen. A few years ago we had a Sirrius radio unit for the car (plug into lighter kind). After being in the Phoenix heat for a few hours it would be all blotchy and sometimes illegible. But it went away after it cooled off.

10. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Yes this is pretty much normal (as far as the battery goes), heat force the chemistry of the battery to react, from the battery point of view you were using your phone at full electrical load.

now, the screen, Not sure but it is very possible, the retina display may use some chemistry sensitive heat.

11. tianh thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for all the responses guys! Im glad that I didnt break my iPhone forever which would've sucked.

12. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Just make sure you don't do the same with a baby or a pet, you may not be so lucky with those :D

13. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

"Hot Tip

If you use your iPod, iPhone, iPad, or notebook in temperatures higher than 95° F (or 35° C), you may permanently damage your battery’s capacity. That is, your battery won’t power your device as long on any given charge. You may damage it even more if you charge the device in these temperatures. Even storing a battery in a hot environment can damage it irreversibly."

From Apple's website on lithium-ion batteries. In other words you can destroy your battery capacity permanently. As for the yellow spots, there have been reports of users saying their screen will turn yellow in parts of their screen when the phone gets hot and it seems yours is doing the same thing.

14. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

Hahaha- about a week ago a lady near where I live left her lab in the car. The dog started to honk the horn because it was so hot. She thought her alarm was going off and then realized she left the dog in the car. The sad thing is she was AT HOME when she did this. Someone should lock HER in a car for an hour during a heat wave.

15. BlondeBuddhist macrumors 6502a

BlondeBuddhist

Heh..

I literally get sick to my stomach when I hear of kids dying because of this exact scenario. Just heard of one last week down south when I had the weather channel on. Kid died after just one hour.

Dogs are no better to leave. If you don't want/cant to bring your dog wherever you are going, LEAVE THEM HOME.

Blonde Buddhist

16. Mac7 macrumors 6502a

Mac7

it peed itself when it thought it was going to die. thankfully you saved it.

17. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

Some people are just too arrogant to realize that. I work in retail and one time a guy came in with his dog. I told him unless it was a seeing eye dog or an assisted living dog (which it clearly wasn't) he could not bring the dog in to the store. Too many people with allergies and I don't get paid enough to clean up another persons dog's messes. So he says "well it's too hot in the car, what am I supposed to do?" I'm glad he had the sense to not leave the dog in the car but I don't know dude, LEAVE HIM AT HOME IN THE A/C PERHAPS? I leave my a/c on for my cat when I know I'm gonna be gona for a while. All part of the responsibility of owning a pet.

We recently had a child die from the same reason- freaking terrible.