Left shift key in new 13" MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hldomster, Jul 6, 2009.

1. hldomster macrumors member

Hi,

Does anyone feel that the shift key on the left side of their 13" MBP's keyboard sometimes feels and sounds different to the others when pressed. I'm on my third 13" MBP now (got 2.5 and decided to downgrade to the 2.26, then had this shift key problem with my first 2.2 so got a replacement), and I don't really want to have to send another one back.

I had a unibody MacBook and this wasn't a problem on that, so my only theory is that the additional IO has somehow intruded or affected that part of the keyboard, causing this annoying sound and feel of the shift key.

Let me know if anyone has a similar experience, and if they've asked for a replacement.

2. hesunana macrumors newbie

Yes, the left shift does feel a bit funny. On my 13" MBP it sort of clicks twice, especially if I don't press the key down straight from above (lower side / near the corners are the worst). Does this sound similar to what you are also experiencing hldomster?

It is a bit annoying, but I'm not going to play the replacement roulette once again. This is my second unit now. The first one had the same left shift issue, plus a couple of scratches, backlight bleeding and dirty fingerprints inside the screen.

I think I'll just keep an eye on it for now and contact Apple if it gets any worse.

3. boston44 macrumors 6502

My whole left side of the keyboard, shift included, feels/sounds different then the right.

4. t3heford macrumors member

5. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

Must be a unibody thing. My MacBook is the same way.

6. James Oliver macrumors newbie

Left shift clickety-click broken?

Yeah snap. Except we UPGRADED from a perfectly good 2.2 to a 2.5 where the left shift key had this annoying 'broken' feel/sound to it - like something underneath is split or cracked. Took it back tonight and got it exchanged. Unfortunately this one has the same issue.

Like hesunana I'm not keen risking 'replacement roulette' but I think this would really bug me long term. I can live with the extra heat that others have complained of on the MBP with but this shift key thing is pleasant sensation to type on. Annoying and distracting.

We got these two MBPs with the left shift problem from Westfield Apple Store in Shepherds Bush, London within the last couple of days. I wonder if this was a 'dodgy batch' and would be interested in where others with this issue bought theirs.

BTW The first iPod Touch - bought at the same time - had to be taken back as the Home button didn't work. These are the first Apple products I've owned and I'm beginning to wonder if Apple have a quality control problem. The MBP looks very pretty...but I had no such keyboard issues on the IBM Thinkpad in 4 years... or indeed on my MSI Wind netbook (£300).

7. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

same.

8. integragsr macrumors member

it feels normal, although my enter key had the same problem you are having, I exchanged my mbp with another one, not because of the enter key but because of my trackpad that made a funny sound when pressed and also got stuck a couple of times.