left shift key stopped working on MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ghall, Jun 12, 2007.

1. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Yeah, the title is pretty self explanatory. Basically, I spilt a bit of water on my keyboard, and every key works except for the left shift key. The weird part is that it didn't start right when I spilled the water, it just randomly just stopped working about an hour later.

2. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

this happened to my powerbook, but it was fading away, meaning that it randomly worked, even if you held down and typed keys it would make some capitalized and others not. I assume a logic board problem, it can't be good.

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

My brother had a problem similar except more keys were not working, the logic board ended up having to be replaced, do you still have apple care on it?

5. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Yes, thankfully I still have Apple Care (expires pretty soon though).

It's definitaly looking like a hardware problem since I logged in as a different user, and then restarted in Windows, didn't work.

Should I try cleaning out the key before I take it into Apple?

Edit: It might be a problem with the key itself, since the shift key doesn't feel as solid as it should.

6. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Tried cleaning, no luck! :( I can't afford to be without my shift key or my computer. This is way too frustrating.

7. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

just hope they don't figure out its from water if you take it in

8. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

Yeah should be fine just call Apple Care and they will fed ex out a box or ask you to go to an Apple Store, they have no proof it was water damaged, just try the keyboard! This is why I bought an Apple Bluetooth keyboard! If I spill something on it and it doesnt work that £30 down the drain but If I spill something on my MBP thats £1600 gone.

9. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Just got off the phone with Apple support. When I told the guy the problem, he asked what error message popped up. Huh?

Anyway, so he had me reset the PRAM (which I already did), and it didn't work. So Apple is sending me a box to ship my laptop in. My added RAM and increased hard drive space seemed to have cleared. What happens if they "decide" that the damage was caused by these modifications? But then again, how can RAM or a hard drive break a keyboard?

This is going to suck, living without my laptop for a week (or so)! Well, fortunately I have my Wii and my DS to keep me entertained.

10. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The hard drive I believe is on that side of the computer, It's most likely a logic board problem, which they might be able to tell was caused by the water spilling.

11. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

If it's a logic board problem, wouldn't there be a lot more wrong than just a bad shift key?

12. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

That particular computer had numerous problems, the video screen went randomly blacking and then that was allegedly fixed and then i had the shift key problem, so maybe, you might have just damaged part of the board, but if the key has other problems then it could just be something with the way that the key is hitting the receptor or if water went into the place where the key is.