Left side of MBP slightly noisier?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Joko, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Joko macrumors 6502

Joko

Hi I have a 17'' MBP, the left side seems to make more noise than the right, is this normal? It's not an unusual sound, just noticeably more than on the right hand side.

2. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

3. Joko thread starter macrumors 6502

Joko

I just noticed that too..DC in maybe? And where is the hard drive located? Maybe that contributes to the sound i'm getting on the left hand side.

4. burningrave101 macrumors 6502

I'm new to MacBooks so I don't know the hardware layout of the 17" but I'd say if it's close to the same as the 15.4" then the hard drive is located under the left palm rest and that would explain the added heat and noise.

5. Joko thread starter macrumors 6502

Joko

Thanks I think you're right, just googled some images. I have the 7200 RPM drive which probably makes the HD noise more apparent too.

6. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

i went to the apple store about it and the heat was more around the power plug.
    he said it might be a voltage leak because mine was running at +80 c which is like 160 or more Fahrenheit

as the person said before me the hard drive is left of the trackpad. is the noise more around there when its accesing files or is it...

when doing what do you get this

7. Joko thread starter macrumors 6502

Joko

Wow that's hot if just idling. Was it a faulty plug point you used that created this or something wrong with how the machine was drawing in energy?

8. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

to be honest i have no clue.
    neither did they
    i had some other things wrong which was taking up a lot of cpu so prob that.
    all said and done reinstalled everything 4 times (other issues, esata express card = not the easiest thing to do on a mbp) and have never been that hot ever again even when moving and running massive files and apps

9. Joko thread starter macrumors 6502

Joko

Ok so you never discovered the problem or actualy got them to fix/replace any parts?

I ask because I think a voltage leak may have something to do with my fans spinning randomly to 6000RPM. All diagnostics tests pass and workshop cant find a faulty although they have ordered parts for testing.

I just don't want to fix the problem and return to a faulty plug point and create the same problem again. Probably time to call the electrician in too..

10. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

dude seriously i would go to the genius bar and just let them deal with it. just keep insisting and get a manager to help you. i wouldn't be taking apart my mbp and seeing the voltage links up everywhere.

11. ibizarocks macrumors regular

12. Joko thread starter macrumors 6502

Joko

I live in South Africa, we have no geniuses working at the Apple workshop..but we do have monkeys. It's a very frustrating process..

13. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

so what is the difference from ours?
    at least you got monkeys we only have lemurs