left side of the macbook "loose" ?? HELP!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lshirase, Jan 30, 2008.

1. lshirase macrumors regular

I recently noticed that the left side of my blackbook is "loose". As in..the side where all the usb ports are located. I can "push in" the left edge of the laptop a little bit. its as if the screws are not tight enough. the right side where the superdrive is located, does not have this problem. the right side of the laptop is in perfect place, and does not make any sounds / does not move when you "push on it".

its as if it "dents" in little bit. i don't know whether or not this is normal. its not just that one spot, anywhere on the left side does the same thing if i push on it. also when i press down on the left side area next to the touchpad, it makes a TINY squeaking sound from time to time. again, the right side has no problems what so ever.

Just wondering if this is a serious problem. If its not, i guess ill just leave it as is. But if this will cause more damage over time, or is already causing damage i should send it in for repairs?

Thanks in advance,
    lshirase

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

my white macbook is like this. i haven't bothered to investigate it very far except to see that the screw thats further in isn't holding on to the casing. it hasn't caused me any issues so far so i haven't really done anything with it, but i'd certainly like to know more if anyone can say.

3. Jason S. macrumors 6502a

4. Spongey817 macrumors regular

My macbook is similar to this, but very minimal.

I'm not sure if this is at all related, but it seems to be right where the laptop lock would be inserted. After attaching the lock to my macbook, it does appear that the white plastic around the area is somewhat "pulled back" from the rest of the laptop.

Just an observation...

5. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

I have the same issue on my Black 2.0 GHz C2D MacBook. I tried tightening the screws but they are not catching anything on the inside and never tightens. If hasn't caused any problems, but I intend to get it fixed when I have a chance.

6. heatmiser macrumors 68020

What can I say? It's an issue of poor design. If it bothers you, take it in. If it doesn't, let it be. Unfortunately, things like this will keep happening until Apple redesigns the case.

7. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

Thats becoming a catch phrase on here, "Poor design."

8. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

I think it's normal. Every MacBook I've tried has done this. It's probably due to the fact that the left side is more "open" with all the I/O, whereas the right side has fewer slots, just the SuperDrive...

9. skwij macrumors 6502

Both sides of mine do this, the left side more so.

Thing is, I would never have even tried this if I hadn't read this thread. There's simply no need to press in on the sides in "normal" use!

10. llorxela macrumors newbie

myth

I read an article on digg about this about two months ago. Supposedly the screw on the left side does not drive into anything but is just there for balance.
    Here is the link off of digg: http://macenstein.com/default/archives/949

11. T-Stex macrumors 6502

Ha. I saw that too, and was just about to post the same link. I'm not sure if it made me feel better or worse after realizing that all MacBooks do this, and that the screws don't actually do anything.

12. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

My rev. A Macbook is the same way. I personally, will never buy another plastic laptop again if I can help it.

13. heatmiser macrumors 68020

It's not really a plastic thing as much as it's a piss-poor-quality-control-by-Apple thing. There are plenty of Windows laptops that hold together for years and years (Thinkpads are a good example), and the majority of those are made of plastic. Apple's iBooks were also plastic, and didn't exhibit the random cracking/loosening of the Macbooks. It really comes down to laziness on Apple's part, nothing else. They made solid plastic laptops before (many G3 Powerbooks are still in use today); they just don't care these days.

14. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Mine did the same thing, so I took out the screws and put them back in. Still squeaks.

Whatever, just don't press on that side lol

15. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

Well the case splintering at the magnetic latches, other cracks, the early discoloration issues, etc. have all turned me off from a plastic laptop in the future. It may be an issue of quality control/poor design on the Macbooks but I will do my best not to experience it again.

16. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

How do you feel about pitting metal from skin oils? ;)

17. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

Never bothered me, as my 1GHz TiPB that I bought new back in 2000/2001 still looks brand new. Actually, it is what I am posting from now.:cool:

18. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Aluminum pits easier than Ti.