Left side of the screen is yellowish compared to right side

Discussion in 'iPad' started by El3ctronics, Mar 16, 2012.

1. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

Usually I'm not one to nitpick but on my new iPad it is blatantly clear that, when in portrait mode, the left side of the display has a major yellow tint and is a darker shade than the right side. It's not a big deal in many apps but it's very noticeable against white backgrounds (web pages, emails, etc.). Is this something worth getting replaced or just sticking it out with?

2. aimfire macrumors regular

aimfire

Mine is the opposite - left side is a bit brighter/hotter than the right side.
    I also have a slight pinkish tint on the bottom left corner. Gonna go to Apple store and try to exchange, grrr....

3. gusnyc macrumors 6502

I am on the same boat. The left side looks darker, yellowish than the right side, in portrait orientation. It is very noticeable,

4. bjmach macrumors 6502

They should change macrumors name to OCD R US

5. Tikatika macrumors 6502

Tikatika

Lol I just said to my friend that my OCD has kicked into high gear. In portrait mode, the entire top 1/4 of the screen is yellow :(

Far from an Apple Store ... Do I just call Customer Care about a replacement?

6. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

I have the exact same problem. It's not OcD in my case though as I noticed it immediately when typing in landscape.

You probably won't get a replacement either, as I was told they don't have any stock to replace with. Basically, mine is being sent in for "repair". They're sending me a prepaid box and it'll take 7-10 days to get it back to me.

7. donnaw macrumors 65816

I use mine in landscape 99% of the time. I notice that the bottom is slightly darker. In fact, darker may not be the right word. It's a bit more yellow, more like there is a very thin layer of dust about 1/3 of the way up.

It's hardly noticible on mine. Borderline bothersome. I suspect I'll get used to it but I'll wait and see. It might be the 'adhesive' issue and will clear up in a week or so.

8. El3ctronics thread starter macrumors 65816

I exchanged my iPad for a new one and the new one has the exact same issue. I then checked the floor models and every single one had the same issue...left hand side has a yellowing tint that is really only noticeable when you're reading text or know it's there. It was also harder to see in the lighting in the Apple retail store but it was definitely there. I think this might be an issue with all new iPad 3 units.

9. Mshilling macrumors regular

mine is darker on the back than on the front. every time I flip it over I cant read anything. Thats it, I'm making a genius bar appt. This has gone on long enough!

10. El3ctronics thread starter macrumors 65816

I think you're on the wrong forum...try this one

11. EarlZ macrumors regular

How is this OCD? Just because your display is better than his doesnt mean the other person is OCD. I'd say the OP has a good eye for what a quality screen should be.

12. FearlessFreep macrumors 6502a

Or it could just be you perceive that there's an issue where there isn't one. Every single one, huh? :rolleyes:

13. donnaw macrumors 65816

When I received my new iPad I noticed that the bottom (landscape mode, home button on the right) had a slight discoloration running about 3inches up and was really bad in the far left corner. It was like a light dusting of powder. Just enough to make any white pages irradiating.

I turned the brightness up to 100% all day yesterday and most of today. Maybe it was adhesive, I don't know but it's gone now. My screen is finally a uniform color. Anyone with this issue might want to give it a few days.

14. dstedman macrumors member

15. Skull21 macrumors regular

So do you plan on exchanging it for another one? I have this problem as well.

16. matttye macrumors 601

Most screens have a warm or cool tint to them. My galaxy s2 has a warm tint on the left side, but it's barely noticeable and doesn't bother me.

17. Djay1 macrumors member

Very interesting and pretty darned astute to try that. Glad it did the trick!

18. El3ctronics thread starter macrumors 65816

Really don't know what to do...is there any chance the yellow will "burn in" and begin looking normal?

19. Identity Fraud macrumors 6502

I'd fit in well. I'm not proud of it im very anal with my products and any slight defects eat away at me for no logical reason. On one hand it's fair to be critical of legit defects but most people wouldn't even notice or care about half the stuff that is posted here. /first world problems

20. jicka macrumors member

I had the exact same problem so I returned it this morning and my replacement is almost exactly the same. My girlfriends looks great though so I'm going to keep returning til I get a good one.

21. Sowelu macrumors regular

Sowelu

This is the problem with my iPad 3 display. The colors are vibrant and the tone is accurate (not yellow, not blue), but there is a shift in hue towards the upper part of the display (on the camera side). So, when holding the iPad in landscape position, the side with the camera will show a slightly different color and appear dimmer. Very noticeable on whites and grays, which would account for all of iOS’s GUI, webpages, iBooks and so on.

As an example, the key-board (while in landscape mode) will look noticeably warmer and dimmer on the left versus the right. I am not sure if this is directly related to the slight light bleed that also plagues that side of the iPad. Is very faint on a black screen, but it looks like it’s showing its ugly self on lighter colors and images. This is not confirmed, just a guess.

22. El Jefe macrumors member

I'm not one to get worried about a yellowish/warmer cooler, but I actually noticed the top left corner (portrait mode) was a warmer color temperature than the rest. I do hope it goes away because I love the device otherwise. I don't have any bleed or dead pixels or anything like that.

23. tsekh macrumors member

The color on my screen is a bit uneven. Not noticeable when watching video or phot, but very noticeable when reading text with a white background. The middle is greener than the sides, and the left side is a bit redder. They are not exactly green and red, but you get the idea. I was thinking it may be just a small problem and maybe it's just that I'm too picky with my eyes. But hello no, upon comparing my iPad 3 to my friend's one today, its a night and day different. His doesn't have the uniformity problem and is even slightly brighter (both are set to max brightness). I'm definitely going to swap for another iPad later this week when I have time to pay apple store a visit.

24. El3ctronics thread starter macrumors 65816

Exactly the same here. Not noticeable in most usages but DEFINITELY noticeable when reading (web pages with white backgrounds, kindle, etc.).

25. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

My iPad is fine until I read threads like these. I should stop.