Left USB rapidly connects/disconnects from iPhone

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BoneDaddy, Aug 11, 2017.

1. BoneDaddy Suspended

BoneDaddy

I charge my iPhone on my macbook pro 15", 2014, when I go to bed.

Recently and every time, for the last couple of months, it connects and disconnects rabidly, about every half second, and after about 15 seconds just stays on disconnect.

This does not happen on the the right side USB and I've tried other iPhones and lightning cables and it does it to all.

However, any other USB device works fine.

Any idea what the heck is going one? I don't want to take it to Apple if it's a minor issue.

Thanks.

2. Audit13 macrumors 68030

Audit13

Sounds like the usb port is not able to supply enough power to charge the phone but is able to supply enough voltage for low-power devices.

3. gim macrumors 6502

gim

Same thing happens when I plug in my iPad Air on the left side. Also 15" MBP 2014. It occasionally works perfectly, so this doesn't seem to be a hardware issue but rather a software glitch, which hasn't been fixed in 3 years.

4. pixelatedscraps macrumors 6502

pixelatedscraps

I would take this in to the Genius Bar, it sounds exactly like the issues I've had with my 2014 MacBook Pro 15".

I noticed my external drives, iPhones and occasionally my Canon DSLRs occasionally disconnecting at random and with no pattern while tethered, charging or transferring data. I took the MacBook into the Genius Bar and they replaced the entire logic board (contains the left side USB) and I/O board (right side) not once but twice in an effort to solve it. I just picked it up today and it's running fine.

If you don't have AppleCare you're looking at a US$700+ repair fee or free if you're protected as I was thankfully.

5. BoneDaddy thread starter Suspended

BoneDaddy

Thanks for the responses. I do still have Apple care so I guess I'll be without the Mac for a week.

I also have one of those starburst marks on the screen, so that has to be replaced too.

Thank God I paid for the Apple care.

6. pixelatedscraps macrumors 6502

pixelatedscraps

Best of luck with it - I had mine back twice within 3 days. Make sure they run hardware tests with actual USB devices (or bring your own devices) in front of you because otherwise they may just use software diagnostics which may or may not test for the issue.

7. BoneDaddy thread starter Suspended

BoneDaddy

Ooh good point. Thank you. I'll have my wofe's phone, my phone, her old phone, my old phone (all iphone variations), and 3 lightning cables.

These bastards will have no excuses even WITH a test. But I still have to let it go because of the starburst on the screen. I've had it on my wife's 13" retina, as well. I've never had ONE SINGLE ISSUE with Macs, until these retinas. Strange...

8. pixelatedscraps macrumors 6502

pixelatedscraps

I would bring a USB drive or external hard drive to test for data transfer as well as connecting / powering a phone (in which case you'd only need to bring one phone)

9. BoneDaddy thread starter Suspended

BoneDaddy

Oh, I thought I mentioned, meant to, that other external devices are fine. BUT this reminds me. I have a permanent small SD card in it and every time I open my mac lid, in the alerts side, it says "disk ejected improperly", like 8 times in a row. So I think that when It's plugged in, even the SD card reader is connecting and disconnecting rapidly.