Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itai

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2011
NYC
Do people know if in the past there have been issues upgrading from DP/PB to GM without experiencing issues which may occur from the system containing residues from the non GM version of the OS? I worry that once GM is available, we may still experience some issues if the GM does not clean up all the mess that the DP/PB left behind (debug files, test configurations, etc.). I am wondering if it's just best to reinstall (even an erase install) once GM is available.

oMc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2010
Finland & France
This is the same old debate again and again.

If your computer is working fine, just update. If you have serious problems after updates, just perform a clean install. Simple as that. No need to become paranoid.

If Apple allowed almost everyone to install the PB and then update to the final version, I doubt that they will intentionally let a mess on your computer after the update to the final version.

Personally I started with PB1, then DP, then PB2, then DP again... And no problems at all.

Oh, and for people saying everywhere that switching between PB/DP break the update mechanism of the App Store, this is not true, the DP8 update just popped-up in my App Store updates.

MaxPayne79

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2014
yeah and before updating to the official released version (not the GM), reset your PRAM and SMC and stuff like that which helps to clear nonsense from the betas that's stored in your macs' various roms. This helps the os to be smoother and work better. Did for me anyway. Cleared up the horrendous safari issues but not the public wifi issues though. :(

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
yeah and before updating to the official released version (not the GM), reset your PRAM and SMC and stuff like that which helps to clear nonsense from the betas that's stored in your macs' various roms.

Nope. Not required.

This helps the os to be smoother and work better.

No it won't. There's nothing that would run smoother just because you reset your PRAM and SMC.

I think people have been repeating "have you zapped your PRAM?" or "have you reset your SMC?" or the more common "have you repaired your permissions?" for way too long when they're really not required unless you specifically have PRAM, SMC or permission issues, which, for the most part, you won't.

TO the OP, just update. If you have any issues, it's more likely that the issue is actually with the specific build than with "leftover" files.

MaxPayne79

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2014
Nope. Not required.

No it won't. There's nothing that would run smoother just because you reset your PRAM and SMC.

I think people have been repeating "have you zapped your PRAM?" or "have you reset your SMC?" or the more common "have you repaired your permissions?" for way too long when they're really not required unless you specifically have PRAM, SMC or permission issues, which, for the most part, you won't.

TO the OP, just update. If you have any issues, it's more likely that the issue is actually with the specific build than with "leftover" files.

Yes it will. It did for me, right? So chances are it will for the OP. Which part of 'it worked for me' did you misunderstand?

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
Yes it will. It did for me, right? So chances are it will for the OP. Which part of 'it worked for me' did you misunderstand?

Because you said it worked for Safari. SMC/PRAM don't affect Safari at all. :p

Again, even Apple doesn't recommend you do these unless you actually have issues pertaining to the SMC and PRAM.

Are you sure you didn't just update to the latest DP/PB and then find that the OS is smoother? Because that would make more sense. :)

MaxPayne79

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2014
Because you said it worked for Safari. SMC/PRAM don't affect Safari at all. :p

Again, even Apple doesn't recommend you do these unless you actually have issues pertaining to the SMC and PRAM

I said it because it did affect safari. Significantly. And they're the only two things I did so one or both worked, hence why I typed it up as advice.

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
I heard Apple left some lasagna in DP7.

On a more serious note the posts oMc and Watabou made are spot on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.