Lefty's mouse hunt

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by JWFerne, Sep 7, 2007.

1. JWFerne macrumors regular

I'm having the hardest time finding a good left handed or universal mouse that can be used in gaming as well as normal every day use. Wireless would be great.

Do any of you lefty's out there have a good recommendation? I'm at a loss to find something decent and comfortable

2. eji macrumors 6502

eji

I don't know about gaming, but I'm a lefty who uses my mouse exclusively on the left side for about 12+ hours a day, and I haven't found a better Mac solution than the Mighty Mouse. I like the customization options and the "unbiased" feel of it.

3. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Not a lefty, but I really like the old Intellimouse Optical. It is symmetrical left/right-wise. I prefer its design with one extra button per left/right side instead of the more frequently appearing two extra buttons on one side and none on the other one.

A wired model though...

4. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

I am a lefty too. I use the Microsoft Laser Mouse 5000 and it is really comfortable.

I also have the Apple Mighty Mouse but found the problem will the scroll wheel clogging up and having to remove your finger from the left side of the mouse to right click a problem, especially when playing games.

I spray painted my mouse to blend in with everything else :)

Attached Files:

5. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

Logitech has some nice mice also for lefties and their gaming mice aren't bad either. However if you plan on using a Logitech mouse with your Mac I suggest not installing LCC (since it causes problems with some Macs) and I have read many threads where people complain about Logitech's poor Mac drivers.
    Instead I recommend using Steermouse (it is a very good mouse driver for the Mac, I have reviewed it and I am using it without any problems with my VX Revolution).

byakuya

6. JWFerne thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the recommendations!!! I'll check into them.

One quesitno though. Without the native drivers wont I loose functionaility with some of the buttons on these guys?

7. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

Most newer Microsoft mice have OS X drivers and full button functionality. As already mentioned, there is also an excellent program called Steermouse that gives full support plus additional functionality to quite a few mice. Check it out. I use it in place of the Microsoft drivers.

8. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

There is one function that I miss using my VX with the Steermouse driver and that is the quick search button. But I rather not have the quick search button than having random kernel panics with the logitech control center and steermouse adds other functions like automatic cursor movement to a pre defined button (like the close button, ok button, etc.) that might be even more useful to some users.
    I suggest using steermouse (it has a 30 day trial) and to make up your mind after that (if you really like it I am giving away a free licence on my blog-contest still running).

byakuya

9. rainydays macrumors 6502a

Razer make gaming mice that are universal. They work great for every day use too. They even have a white/gray mac-specific version.
    They are corded though, but at least they use a thin cord that doesn't get in the way. I have personally given up trying to find a good wireless mouse.

http://www.razerzone.com/

10. MikeTheC Guest

MikeTheC

Gallifrey -- Capitol City, Prydonian Sector
    I don't know how many manufacturers (if any) produce a mirrored design of any of their right-handed products. However, most manufacturers produce handed-neutral designs, so those would (at this point in time) probably be your best bet.

I'd also highly recommend you go with a "laser" class optical mouse, instead of a regular "optical" optical mouse, both because of higher tracking precision, as well as far greater surface compatibility.

I briefly owned an Apple Mighty Mouse, and couldn't believe how poor it's tracking and surface compatibility was. I bought and returned it the same day.

I also see little benefit in going with a wireless mouse. You have another battery to replace, if it's not bluetooth then you have to attach a dongle of some kind, and frankly with bluetooth the response just simply sucks. I bought a wireless Microsoft Laser Mouse for my PowerBook (the theory being when I'm out and about and don't want to take a full-sized mouse with me) but honestly I never use it. It's less inconvenient for me to use the touchpad on my PowerBook than to use mouse for those relatively short periods of time when I might use it (since the rest would be in circumstances where a mouse simply wouldn't be appropriate anyhow).

11. rainydays macrumors 6502a

This is true in theory, but not always in practice. My Razer Deathadder (optical) has far better tracking than my MX Revolution (laser).

So it's better to say "get a mouse that is known to have good tracking", rather than trusting a specific technology. It's the implementation that matters in the end.

12. JWFerne thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the comments on the thread! It was helpful.

Cheers!