Legacy 1-2-3 functions in Lotus Symphony

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by raymondu999, Mar 1, 2009.

1. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Hi there. My father is a recent switcher to the Mac. Before, on his PC laptop, he used Lotus 1-2-3 a lot, almost, I daresay, religiously. Now, however, as he bought his MacBook Air, I installed Lotus Symphony onto it after doing some research. However, he then told me that it couldn't use the old queries that he used. Not a Lotus user myself, I don't personally understand his problem, but he said he used to be able to type in "/sort" or something like that and it would do the command, without need to go through the menu system. Now he has to relearn things based on the menu system. I'm not exactly sure if that's what he meant, but that's how it came through to me.

Is there some way to reactivate those legacy features/queries in Symphony?

Thank you for your kind attention.

2. raymondu999 thread starter macrumors 65816

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

That is not how applications are written. By this, I mean that IBM did not deactivate 1-2-3 functions to build Symphony. Symphony has its own collection of features. My guess is that it has much functionality in common with 1-2-3, but it is used in its own way. Your grandfather needs to learn how to use his new software. For the functionality that is missing in Symphony, he needs to identify application(s) that have it.

4. raymondu999 thread starter macrumors 65816

I know this. But Symphony is touted as a successor to 1-2-3. Hence I'm assuming that it's possible to put in some sort of "Classic" mode to activate those old commands. Kind of like how Mac OS 10.0 had a Classic environment.

5. raymondu999 thread starter macrumors 65816