Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gary513r

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2009
I have an 2009 Mac Pro that I just updated the system to 10.11.6 with a clean install. Reinstalled my Adobe CS4 apps and they won't run.
Each program asks for "legacy Java SE 6 runtime". Installed the Java link from Apple help but says it needs this older version to run. Can't find this older Java anywhere? Is there a solution?

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
Here you go. I found this Apple page with a search for "Legacy Java SE 6 runtime for Mac":

gary513r

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2009
Thanks, but have tried that link and all I can find to download is the newest version - Java 8 update 301. Restarted after installing it but it still won't let Adobe CS4 programs work. Keeps asking for "legacy Java SE 6 runtime".

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Thanks, but have tried that link and all I can find to download is the newest version - Java 8 update 301. Restarted after installing it but it still won't let Adobe CS4 programs work. Keeps asking for "legacy Java SE 6 runtime".
The supplied link really should give you a JavaForOSX.pkg with Java 1.6

However, if it won't work with the link, install it with Homebrew.
brew install java6

Idun098TZZ

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2021
Hi,
yes, you have to download it from the Apple support page. After downloading the Java SE 6 installer, double-click on the JavaforOS.dmg file and launch the installer, double-click JavaforOSX.pkg.
I recommend you read this one and follow the step-by-step guide. I was helping a friend to do so and this helps, hope it does with you the same :)

Cheers

Reactions: MBAir2010
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.