Legacy trade

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by IBobby, Jul 9, 2007.

1. IBobby macrumors regular

IBobby

I just recieved an email about trading my G4 Quicksilver for a G4 Cube with a apple cinema display with a 500mhz 1.5gb ram, 120gb hdd and a cdrw. I wouldn't mind trading because i need something smaller without costing me a penny you know? What do you guys think should it be a go or no go?

2. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

Will the Cube be even able to run Leopard? I would not do it, unless, of course you want to have the Cube simply for the sake of it.

3. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

The G4 Cubes were nice but there's no way I would trade a Dual 1.5 Ghz for a single 500 Mhz...

4. IBobby thread starter macrumors regular

IBobby

To be honest i had leopard for a couple of hours and didn't really like it. I mean I love the dock the coverflow folder option but there are options on there that i really didn't think i would really ever consider using like time machine and spaces although that was pretty neat seeing a linux feature on leopard. But over all, All i will be doing on this machine is pretty much really lite video editing and photoshop and webdesign.

5. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Even though it is a Cube that you'd get, I wouldn't do it. I would never take such a hit in performance willingly.

6. IBobby thread starter macrumors regular

IBobby

You know what u guys are right im not going to do it. I mean i do need the space but i also need some sort of performance. Thanks guys.

7. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

If you need more space then consider a Firewire HD or a larger internal HD for your Powermac.

8. IBobby thread starter macrumors regular

IBobby

:D i was meaning less clutter on the desk. I love the qs just a big moose me and my fiance`s apartment is already small as it is let alone 5 computers in here already lol.

9. IBobby thread starter macrumors regular

IBobby

Well i just did the best thing for the both of us, I just bought it from him for 50$ what a friken steal!!!!!

10. mavherzog macrumors 6502

Care to double your money?

11. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

Holy crap... that's awesome, lol!

12. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Glad to hear that you chose this option.

A Cube is nice looking but performance and upgrading are very limited.

Your Quicksilver G4 is a one of the better Macs that Apple has created. Do not get rid of it. You can always upgrade/expand it very easily.

FWIW, they still fetch a good price over here in Japan. The last time that I looked, a stock Quicksilver was going for around 120,000 yen, or about $1,000. A Cube on the other hand, was much less around 40,000 yen.