Legal advice? (Copyright question on YouTube)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ideal.dreams, Aug 6, 2012.

1. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I uploaded a video of me performing a cover of the song "Radioactive" by Imagine Dragons on the piano. YouTube matched it to third party content and is now displaying ads in my video. Would I be right in disputing it with the reason that I own all audio and video in my uploaded video since I am the one playing the song?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I'd go read the terms and conditions you agreed to when you signed up to use their service...

3. ideal.dreams thread starter macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

4. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

There's only one thing worse than asking for legal advice on the internet: asking for medical advice. ;)

5. tninety macrumors regular

If it was an automatic match and you're sure you have no copyrighted content in your video, contact them and say the match was incorrect. Unless you actually used the song in your cover it's very likely it was a mistake (since matching technology isn't good enough to detect covers).

If the record company of the song saw it and contacted YouTube, I'm not sure what you can do, since covers are not covered by fair use.

6. snberk103 macrumors 603

If you cover a song written by somebody else, then I believe that at a minimum the songwriter is due royalty payments. Therefore you don't own all the rights, and YouTube is, iirc, sending a portion of the ad revenue to the songwriter or the collective/society that the songwriter belongs to.

7. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

yes....performance royalties would be due from the OP

what's not clear is what the OP would be disputing? :confused:

8. Nabooly macrumors 6502a

Nabooly

Don't mess with YouTube...they deactivated my account after 3 copyright strikes. :rolleyes: Totally my fault for using copyrighted material but my videos were getting millions of views. Had my account since 2005, before it ever blew up to what it is today. I'm mostly upset that I lost all my favorited videos...most of them will be really tough to find. :(