legal iPhone unlock policies

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by C.Calthrop, Oct 4, 2011.

1. C.Calthrop macrumors newbie

C.Calthrop

It is now possible to buy an unlocked iPhone from Apple. Does anyone know what AT&T's policy is about unlocking phones after the 2 year contract is over? This question will also apply to Verizon for the new iPhone since it will also work with GSM.

2. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

Still won't do it - I'm out of contract on my iPhone 4 and they refused. They don't have any way to do it at this point.

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

They do have a way they just won't do it! The only one that can unlock an iPhone is apple. Carriers put the ok to unlock request through to them and it's usually done quickly!

4. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

Yea but AT&T has no current process to put the request in at this point. Until that changes there is no way for AT&T to unlock your phone.

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

You actually believe that bs? AT&T have you brainwashed. Congratulations.

6. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

Until AT&T changes their policy on the ability to unlock the iPhone then it will be impossible for anyone to have it done. No amount of screaming on the phone, threatening to cancel or what have you will get it done as the AT&T reps don't have the physical ability to unlock it.

But then again I'm brainwashed, so what do I know?