Legal issue/OSX/3rd Party app

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by David Webb, Oct 23, 2013.

1. David Webb macrumors newbie

I would really appreciate some legal advise regarding software if anyone could help?

I updated my OS to Mavericks last night since it was free. But only today I have now found out that some software I use, which is reasonably expensive for what it is, is not supported in Mavericks and no longer works. The company involved say my only option is to get the latest version. This would cost around $110. The original software was only 2 years old and is now useless since i upgraded to OSX without knowing. I don't think its fair practice.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.

2. alent1234 macrumors 603

what's not fair?

you paid for a version. it costs money to code a version for a new OS

3. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Unless the EULA specifically provided for free updates, the company in question doesn't "owe" you anything.

In my opinion, you should have done some research before installing the new OS.

Pay for the new updated software.

4. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Or roll back to ML and continue to use your old version. You have choices at least.

5. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Use Windows. Broken app compatibility is just another things Mac users have to put up with.

6. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Tell us what the software is so anyone using it can be warned not to upgrade to Mavericks.

7. David Webb thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies.

Personally I don't think its the responsibility of the consumer to check every single piece of software they own to see if it is or isn't compatable with an operating system a high percentage of users will want to use.

But I take on board and respect your opinions. I simply think that consumers should of somehow been made aware of the consequences more proactively.

I will look into the option of rolling back to ML.

(the software is used by airline pilots for logging hours)