Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattscott306

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2007
Yeah, I got my name changed last august, it's an easy process if you use a lawyer. Here in GA (I believe it varies from state to state) you have to run a notice in your local newspaper for four weeks, and then go before a judge. They want you to have a good reason to (I was taking my stepfathers last name), but you can do it for no reason.

iRachel

macrumors 6502a
Only possible complication that I can think of is that most states will charge a fee - though I don't think it's that much.

Just make a list of all the place you need to call/write to have them update your information - it might be longer than you initially thought - and keep track of who you've notified and who you haven't got to yet.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
I changed my name a few years ago.

The UK has two ways to do it :

1. Common law - you just tell everyone to call you by your new name. Some companies will be happy to bill you in your new name, others need legal proof as below.

2. Deed Poll. You go to a solicitors and get a legal document drawn up, for about £50, certifying your change of name. No reason is needed. You can then show that to the banks etc to get your credit cards, passport etc in your new name.

As mentioned above, the key thing is that there must be no attempt to hide your identity or evade anything.

Some people deed poll their names to strange things, like Mr IhateMcDonalds, often when in the middle of a court case against the entity they don't like.

RandomStory: My favourite non-entertainment-related namechange is Henry Morton Stanley, the famous American explorer who discovered Dr Livingstone in the jungle with the immortal phrase "Dr Livingstone, I presume?"

He was actually born with the name John Rowlands to a grindingly poor family in a Welsh coal valley - his parents weren't married, his father died soon after, and his mother refused to look after him, so as an illegitimite, he grew up in the harsh workhouse.

Escaping to the USA at 15, he encountered a wealthy trader in New Orleans, named Stanley, whos name he assumed, reinventing himself.

All his life, he was obsessed with fear that people would discover his real working class origins, his illegitimacy, and that he wasn't really called Stanley. As an old man, he wandered the graveyards of New Orleans, looking for graves with the name 'Stanley' that he could claim were ancestors of his.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
How about Beufard Tideus (pronounced Byoo-ferd ty-diss)... there is a funny story behind that one... :D ;)

TequilaBoobs

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2006
Yeah, I got my name changed last august, it's an easy process if you use a lawyer. Here in GA (I believe it varies from state to state) you have to run a notice in your local newspaper for four weeks, and then go before a judge. They want you to have a good reason to (I was taking my stepfathers last name), but you can do it for no reason.

i did the same thing - changed my last name to match my stepdad. i had my lawyer do the paperwork in VA where i was at the time. cost like couple hundred bucks, signed a few documents, and that was it. more trouble updating information with the DMV (worse employees ever!), credit cards, social security, etc...

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Couple of questions about it.

Q1) Have any of you done it?

Q2) Was it an easy process?

Q3) Did any sort of complications arise?

My wife has.

No it wasn't. Changing driver's license, SS card, etc was a hassle.

No, just wasted time.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
I have heard its easy and that in US you can get it changed to just about anything and for just about any reason except for fraud purposes (Evading debts or trying to appear to be someone else.)

May I recommend the name Raymond Luxury Yaucht.

I'm changing my name to "Cash", so I can sue the banks that converted money from checks made out to cash.. I mean.. to me!

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Like yellow, my wife also changed her name. It wasn't extremely simple, but neither was it all that complex.

The only complications were that people who knew her by the "old" name now had ot learn the "new" name. If you're doing something drastic, like changing your entire name (vs. just last name), then there may be other complications caused primarily by things cropping up that are still in your old name that you forgot to change.

Unless you're just talking about your MR name, in which case you just need to PM a god with a good reason... ;)

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Some countries have lists of 'official' names, and everyone born in that country must be called a name from that list.

I find this a hard concept to grasp, but apparently it's true. I had a girlfriend a long long time ago, called Victoria.

Nothing unusual about that, but she was from Argentina, and 'Victoria' is not on the list there. (the situation may be different now) Her mum apparently had a huge struggle to get the right to name her baby Victoria.

Victoria loved her unique name - she was pretty much the only one around - and when she came to live in the UK, she was really pissed off to find it was such a common name here.

TequilaBoobs

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2006
apparently, you can change your name to a symbol, like Prince, but how practical it is I dunno...

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Prince changed his stage name, yes. But I'm pretty sure his taxes, accounting and passport name remained the same.

I also have a different working name (for brand recognition reasons) and passport/taxes name.

3nm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2006
good to know it's not too hard. have been thinking of changing my name.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.