Legality Of iPlayer Grabber???

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MAC-PRO-DEMON, May 27, 2009.

1. MAC-PRO-DEMON macrumors 6502a

MAC-PRO-DEMON

OK... so I have been using the application iPlayer Grabber and iPlayer Downlaoder for a little while now, and it has just struck me that it is most likely illegal...

What it basically does, is allows you do download programmes (And keep them) in the .MOV format... and then do whatever you want with them.. Watch them in Plex or iTunes for example.. It runs pretty fast...

I was just wondering whether - A: Anyone else has used them???
    B: They are legal???

Thanks!!

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Television shows?

Television shows are public domain.

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

You're bypassing the DRM by doing this, so obviously you're not supposed to be doing it.

As usual with stuff like this though, legally it's probably all shades of grey...

4. The Phazer macrumors 68030

No they aren't, and indeed there's no such thing as public domain under British law.

Using iPlayer Grabber is unlawful - period. You are not allowed to make copies of any on demand programming in the UK at all (the timeshifting provision only applies to taking it from a broadcast signal). No grey area at all.

Phazer

5. LtRammstein macrumors 6502a

LtRammstein

True, but what would you consider DVRs? They record TV for you, is that breaking the law?

I believe if you record TV for your use and no distribution, it's fine.

6. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Technically it would be illegal. Practically? The only lawsuits I have seen be successful have been against people sharing media, not downloading it. But just because nobody has sued for it (yet) doesn't mean they won't, and it doesn't make it legal.

I would ask a lawyer or law professor, especially one who focuses on intellectual property rights and/or the digital rights cases that have been popping up for the past decade or so. But short answer is you are probably not going to be arrested, though I would not advise using it for copywritten material.

7. The Phazer macrumors 68030

If used for just domestically timeshifting content rather than just archiving it, then they're legal - because there's a specific exemption in the law covering using them to record broadcasts to watch at a more time.

But iPlayer isn't a broadcast - broadcasts have a specific defintion in English and European law, and on demand services aren't in it. It's irrelevant if the content has previously been broadcast.

In British legal terms, this is simply incorrect.

Phazer