Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sam1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2007
I've researched the legality of recording streaming audio and video, but am unable to find anything conclusive whether it's legal or not. I'm assuming it's because no official law is in place.

For instance, as a member of Rhapsody.com (a legal music download site), I noticed a lot of the music I wanted to download isn't available for purchase. Instead, they often have the songs I'm looking for on their streaming radio stations at a lower quality than the downloads. Legaly, would it be acceptable to use audio capturing software to get certain songs strictly for personal use? Also, would it be legal to record streaming video from a site that didn't offer the video for download?

Thanks.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
I've researched the legality of recording streaming audio and video, but am unable to find anything conclusive whether it's legal or not. I'm assuming it's because no official law is in place.

That is not the case--at least not in the US. If the holder of the copyright does not make an artistic creation available for copying, then you must infer that the holder of the copyright does not intend for you to copy the artistic creation. You are therefore not allowed under the law to copy it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.