Legality of Terrific Electronics Store?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by losmani, Nov 29, 2008.

1. losmani macrumors newbie

Hi,

Today, I was searching for some iPhone 3G and MacBook Pro deals in Facebook's marketplace and ran into a post from a so-called Terrific Electronics Store. I asked for more details from the guys, and didn't get any exact details on what I asked for. Rather, amongst some unnecessary details, there was a link to this online store, which is:

http://www.rdstores.co.cc/index.html

The website looks pretty awful and there is not much to it apart from some product pictures. I am supposing that this one is a fake, but I would like to ask if anyone here heard about this store and share his/her thoughts about it.

I just remembered, that in the e-mail they are asking to send them my full shipping details along with the amount of the units to be bought. They ask to send this information to their mail and as they state in the mail, after sending this info back to them, they will come back to me with further details.

Anyone who reads this and happens to know anything about this store, please share it with me. Is this "online store" a fake or a real fake?

From Lum!

P.S. The "deal" for an iPhone 3G is $250 and guess what, it is unlocked! haha!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Bogus site. The domain shows to be available, which means they don't have it registered. They also use gmail for their email addresses, instead of their own domain (probably since they don't own the domain). Sounds like a scam. The same phone number has been used on other sites, like this: http://flyingstoreworld.com/

That site is registered to:
    Domain Name.......... flyingstoreworld.com
    Creation Date........ 2008-09-28 <<<<<========= RED FLAG!
    Registration Date.... 2008-09-28
    Expiry Date.......... 2009-09-28
    Organisation Name.... Tiffany Rhodes
    Organisation Address. P O Box 99800
    Organisation Address. EmeryVille
    Organisation Address. 94662
    Organisation Address. CA
    Organisation Address. US

I wouldn't trust any company that doesn't show their physical address (the phone number is Vancouver, WA) and who doesn't have an established reputation.

3. George Carlin macrumors regular

George Carlin

4. weekend warrior macrumors member

I wouldnt trust that site with $1 of my money. I dont even know how you can order anything, you cant click on any of the items.

15 free games with every console purchase?
    Buy 10 items, get 1 free!

STAY AWAY!

5. losmani thread starter macrumors newbie

6. minako macrumors newbie

Terrific Electronics Store

This is 100% a scam website. I have been, first hand, taken in by their advertising and have absolutely nothing to show for it. I have reported this site to the FBI, RECOL, RCMP, and Better Business Bureau. Unfortunately, unless there are more people that have been swindled by these sorry excuses for human beings, they will not expend the resources to help me.

****Warning****

This site http://www.rdstores.co.cc/ was the original site that I went to, it is now closed due to investigation, but it is not stopping these people! They have now acquired a site that THEY PAY FOR, so they apparently can do whatever they want the following site http://terrific-deals.net is there new site, warn everyone you can about their illegal scamming!

7. vutha21 macrumors newbie

hi there

I'm a retailer from australia that was looking for some suppliers and i ran into terrific deal as well. 100% scam. I was going to cancel my western union money but ddidn't get to that in time. I Actually read this before carrying any more interaction with him but ignore it. IF you're reading this..dont do the same thing i did. ITS 100% scam. After he took the money, we ask for the tracking number and he didn't give. before then.we questioned his company. Nothing makes sensse. At the end of the day, after we ask for more money due to insurance issue and mentioned nigeria.. we knew we were in trouble. Below was has email.

Hi,

The payment was confirmed and the ips3 has been shipped to you.Right now when i got [/U]to the shipping company i was told that you need to pay for the Insurance and Tax fee.

I was also told that the insurance fee will be returned back to you at the point of delivery but you will not get the TAX fee back.The insurance fee is 130usd while the tax fee is 20usd making the total payment of 150usd.

So you are to send 150usd so that you can get the ps3 this thursday and you will be getting 130usd back at the point of delivery.

You will have to send the money to the insurance agent with the below information and you just get back to me with the MTCN# number so i can forward to him.

Name:Muneer Temitope
    Address:38-45 custom ave
    City:Ikeja
    State:Lagos
    Zip code:23401
    Text Question:payment for?
    Text answer:insurance.

Make sure the money is sent now so that you can have the ps3 by 12pm thursday and you will also be getting the 130usd back also.

Await to hear from you faster for the number so that everything can be done faster.

http://www.tradeeasy.com/supplier/5...ystation-3-60gb-entertainment-system-ps3.html

how he mentioned that we will get 130 back when its delivery is rubbish. Feedex doont do that stuff when i call up to enquire..

STAY AWAY.

jsut wondering if any1 have this problem?

8. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

I am amazed at how many people are falling for these scams. Are people really that stupid? I saw on the news the other night where some woman lost $40,000 to nigerian scammers. WTF? I guess it all comes down to greed. They see a deal that is too good to be true and they go for it. So, instead of paying 20% more to buy from a legitimate source, they throw all reason out the window and wire money to strangers. I say if you fall for it, you probably deserve it! My email trash bin is full of bogus offers that come to me as spam. Often, I wonder why I get so much spam when I NEVER buy from them. Then I realize that there are a lot of idiots out there who DO buy (or at least send them money) and then I know that spam will never stop nor will bogus websites that rip people off. It's very profitable! PT Barnum said it best.

9. minako macrumors newbie

To THX1139

All I'd like to say is How Dare You sit on your crummy excuse of a high horse and judge people. You think that people are greedy trying to catch a break on the high cost of everything these days? I tried to purchase a Christmas present for a person I care about through these people. You call that greedy? You need to go back to school and brush up on your definitions. Don't go creeping around sites bashing other people for trying to do a good thing. Karma is a B*TCH and it will come back and bite you right in the butt.

10. minako macrumors newbie

I have reported this to RECOL.ca, IC3.gov, and the Better Business Bureau ( the complaint number is BBB CASE#: 22184059‏ ), can you please do the same as they need more complaints in order to continue investigations.

11. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Sorry you got taken.
    You probably have no recourse as the fly by night company is probably setting up shop elsewhere.
    Hopefully you put it on a credit card and have sort of recourse.

Sometimes paying the msrp or slightly higher from a reputable source is the best route.

Take a few minutes in discrimanating the potential purchase site.
    for a site I haven't done busness with I usually google the company name, check where they are out of and check out the domain name.

Good luck and hope you get some of your money back.

12. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

THX is 100% RIGHT. Not sitting on any high horse at all... Nor is THX judging, just stating facts.

Anyone STUPID enough to fall for this sort of thing has not got my sympathy. I own my own business too, and when I want product or supplies, guess where I go... The ORIGINAL manufacturer! It makes 100% logical sense that the cheapest place to get anything is from the original manufacturer. But then I also run a 100% honest business, too. Anyone trying to get around the normal paths of business knows they are playing with fire, and may get burned.

It is unfortunate you got ripped off, but that does not change the fact that what you did was ill-advised. But it is a life lesson, and hopefully one you have learned from. I am not sure if you have or not, though... blaming THX for YOUR bad moves does not make me thing this will not happen to you again.

13. KISSLady macrumors newbie

I do believe we also got scammed. We are in Canada, and against my better judgement my son (16 yo) wanted this really badly (his money). He said if it's a scam Mom, it's a hard lesson learned for me. So I sent the money Western Union on Monday ($297.00 Canadian). The thing is, because they sent me a Fed Ex Receipt with a tracking number, I felt MAYBE it would work out ok and was legit. Now Fed Ex said the tracking number was only electronically scanned, not physical. So who do I report these people to? Thanks.

14. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

theMaccer

POlice?

15. minako macrumors newbie

Report it to the Better Business Bureau!

If you could report this to the Better Business Bureau, this will not only help you, but it will also help everyone else that has been scammed by these ppl. if you scroll up on this forum, you will see the Case # that you should use to help you report this.

Thanks!

16. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Simply put.

When you ask a question, and the answer back is not what you were looking for keep looking.

If someone from that company can not provide you with basic information you are looking for then they can not fulfill your needs as a consumer, legit company or not.