Legality of using OSX icons like Throwboy Pillows?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by polliwog, Nov 7, 2011.

1. polliwog macrumors member

I'm just curious about this... I've been wanting to place an order for the set of OSX pillows with Throwboy. I'm sure many of you already know about them. Are they legally allowed to put these OSX icons on a pillow? Or is this something they need to get Apple's approval before doing? If the latter, do you know if they have this?

2. Medium Rare macrumors regular

Medium Rare

Oh yah. They better have approval from Apple or they will be quickly shut-down.

3. polliwog thread starter macrumors member

So, you're saying Throwboy would have been shutdown already if they hadn't gotten approval from Apple? So I guess Apple's attorney's would have jumped on it... Well, they're still selling their pillows, so I guess this isn't the case...

4. goMac macrumors 603

I don't think Apple legal is going to come to your house and confiscate your pillows.

5. polliwog thread starter macrumors member

I doubt it either, but I also don't think it's wise to underestimate one of the biggest and most profitable company in the World.

6. skorpien macrumors 68020

They won't come after you. If you order now and they ship it before Apple pursues legal action you'll still get it. Though I highly doubt Apple would go after manufacturers of pillows. If they were making knockoff Apple products or other computer peripherals and slapping the Apple logo on them, then yes. I've seen it happen. I've even purchased these products (the iHub USB hub), and I've yet to be sued or detained by Apple.

7. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Unless approved by Apple, these are illegal. BUT, yes, you could order them now and get them before Apple goes after them... and eventually they have to. Why? IP has to be protected otherwise it becomes public domain. If they don't go after them, they could lose the rights to the icons. Will they go after you? No, they won't care about that. But eventually, they will go after throwboy, they have too.

Ethically should you buy them? You know that there is a very strong chance that these pillow are NOT licensed; thus do you ignore the ethical dilemma and buy them anyway? I know I wouldn't.

8. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

FYI : I sent a note to Apple Legal (Copyright department) that asked (while providing the URL) if the pillows were legally allowed to use the logos. We'll see if they respond to me and / or the company.

9. polliwog thread starter macrumors member

Thanks a lot, Cylon. Good idea! Let me know if you find anything out from them. I'm just really curious on this matter.

10. Judah87 macrumors newbie

Any update? I would love to know how this turns out!

I own several products that are not from Apple, but fit in with the Apple aesthetic, the iHub being one, and also an external case for my superdrive that I "optibay'ed".

It's only natural that some people are filling in the gaps that Apple leaves - let's be honest they put their time and effort into producing incredible world-changing devices...why waste time on USB hubs? I don't condone trademark infringement, but it is nice to have uniformity here and there.

That said, these pillows are pretty blatant, and he also has them for Facebook and Twitter icons...

11. polliwog thread starter macrumors member

I sent Apple Legal an email about this, about a year ago now. They never responded at all. On Apple Legal's page, they tell you that they do not reply to ever email. And that they only choose those of concern to reply to (or something to that nature). So, I guess using Apple Software icons is something that's a low priority to them. Probably they don't mind unless you're creating fake Apple products and slapping their logo or Trademarks on it.

12. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Based by the fact that you didn't get an answer, I'd rather say that Apple is tolerating that you enjoy a Finder icon-looking pillow.