OS Neutral Legend of Grimrock II

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Washac, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

Legend of Grimrock II - Release date October 15th 2014.

Anybody else looking forward to this ?

http://www.grimrock.net/

2. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Got the first one on steam ages ago and still have to play it. The story of my steam account!

3. Janichsan macrumors 65816

Janichsan

^ This.

I have the game from a Humble Bundle or the other, and actually also started playing. Really liked it, but I got distracted at some point by some other shiny game. I still have to finish it.

4. txa1265 macrumors 6502a

txa1265

I LOVE Grimrock, it perfectly combines new and old ... so yeah, totally all over this next week! :)

5. imacken macrumors 65816

Steamplay?

6. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

If they simplified that click-tastic mess of an interface for casting spells I just might. I liked the first game in everyway but simply couldn't get into it because of the horrible dependence on the mouse. I really want to play a game like that keyboard only.

7. Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

Ah yes, but their games are old school based and if you have played Dungeon Master then that was a bit of a click fest to cast spells, so I assume it will be like that seeing as Grimrock was a modern day old school Dungeon Master variant.

Seems of late it is time for the old school RPG, and I for one am loving it, especially when all these games can be purchased steam free :)

8. Cougarcat macrumors 604

"Because that's the way the older games were like" is a pretty poor excuse for a bad interface, IMO. I like older games despite their terrible interfaces, not because of them. Interfaces should be as transparent as possible between you and the gameplay. Speaking of old school RPGs, in Shadowrun returns the interface was just terrible--they clearly designed it for iOS only. The recent Dragonfall directors cut helps enormously, but it's still a bit cumbersome in places. Haven't played Wasteland 2 yet but I've heard its interface is a bit wonky as well.

Not on launch, apparently.

9. Suture macrumors 6502a

Suture

Really liked this, got stuck a few times but pushed through to the end. Will definitely buy if they port it to Mac, however right now it's showing PC-only on Steam :(

10. Acorn, Oct 12, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2014

Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

11. Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

The game runs really really well under Parallels 9 if anybody is interested.

People are getting it running in a Wine wrapper under Linux, I have tried to install the GoG version into a Wine wrapper without success, it errors towards the end of the wrapper install, same thing happens when trying to install into CrossOver.

12. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Saw the trailer, it reminds me of the Wizardry games…. the POV is the same perspective. But no OSX version, so just lost my interest.

13. Janichsan macrumors 65816

Janichsan

An OS X version is supposed to come later, though there's no date yet.

And other than the perspective, LoG plays nothing like the Wizardry games. The latter were purely turn-based, while LoG plays in real-time.

14. Washac, Oct 16, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2014

Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

I think the OSX version of their first game Legend of Grimrock was released something like 8 months down the line. They have already said it will not go to other platforms until they know it is running OK on windows, I assume that means that it no longer requires anymore major patches etc.

Be nice if somebody can get it running in a wrapper.

15. imacken macrumors 65816

Yep, but as you said earlier, it works well in PD9.