Legendary Rush drummer Neil Peart dies.

D.T.

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Very great drummer ... very sad way to go ... after loosing his daughter, then his first love of his life to the same killer that eventually took him.

Grew up in the same hood as on of the bandmates, actually a neighbouring street and saw them hanging out. At the time I had no idea yet one of the older guys in the area definitely did and took a log time getting autographs and asking all kinds of musician questions. Their chill responses and encouraging words really was nice to see.
Not to be pedantic over this sad event, but his first daughter actually died in a car crash (you may have been just referring to just his first wife, re: cancer, but figured I'd clarify), ... but yes, cancer sucks.

Such a sad turn of events between the loss of his daughter, then his wife, though he seems to have had a lot of joy in the latter part of his life with his new wife and new little girl.

Been watching some documentary type shorts on YT, great stuff, it's funny how he stayed out of public interaction, not because he didn't love that fans loved this music, but just because "It made him nervous".

• Love
Reactions: DeepIn2U

decafjava

macrumors 68040
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Not to be pedantic over this sad event, but his first daughter actually died in a car crash (you may have been just referring to just his first wife, re: cancer, but figured I'd clarify), ... but yes, cancer sucks.

Such a sad turn of events between the loss of his daughter, then his wife, though he seems to have had a lot of joy in the latter part of his life with his new wife and new little girl.

Been watching some documentary type shorts on YT, great stuff, it's funny how he stayed out of public interaction, not because he didn't love that fans loved this music, but just because "It made him nervous".
Yes Neil wrote about his feelings about fame in "Limelight".

He also wrote a book about a long motorcycle trip he took after losing both wife and daughter which I have long wanted to read.

Ghost Rider: Travels on the Healing Road

• Love
Reactions: DeepIn2U

D.T.

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Do you know the total title of the book you mentioned "Limelight"? I looked around, but no title.
He was talking [I'm assuming] about the Rush song, Limelight, from the album, Moving Pictures.

Clearly, the whole song, but I think these lyrics appropriately convey the feeling:

Cast in this unlikely role
Well equipped to act
With insufficient tact
One must put up barriers
To keep oneself intact

faust

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Dang, Rush was one of the bands that toured with Journey like 13-14 years ago, right? I saw them live whilst in high school. Such a good performance from every band on the ticket, but Rush just seemed to have more bang to them. RIP Neil.

ericgtr12

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2015
It does my heart good to see this topic, thanks @MacNut

I started listening to Rush in the late 70s and like many, found a connection both on a musical and personal level. They inspired me to be a better musician and practice my ass off every day. Neil was inspirational on many levels and helped shaped my youth, not just his work ethic, perfect timing and thoughtful parts but as a person who appreciated what he had, even though he suffered through great personal loss with his wife and daughter both passing. The man knew pain and endured, taking a well earned sabbatical but then returning with a vengeance.

It's the end of an era but they had a really great run and many of us stuck with them through the entire journey. Neil always said he couldn't greet fans as a long lost friend and we had to appreciate his need for privacy but he also gave us all the best of himself publicly and I'll always be grateful for that. RIP Neil, what a life!

• Love
Reactions: D.T. and MacNut