Leggo my Eggo! Kellogg fights waffle shortage

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by mscriv, Nov 19, 2009.

1. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Link

My 4 year old son is going to be dissapointed! :(

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Gee, how will America survive? I mean, it's not like there aren't 76 other brands to buy. :rolleyes:

3. ezzie macrumors 68020

ezzie

Bisquick + egg + milk + oil + waffle iron = waffles. It's not hard, people.

4. savoirfaire macrumors 6502

savoirfaire

And they'll taste much better, too...

5. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Maybe you can introduce him to some HEALTHY breakfast options.

6. savoirfaire macrumors 6502

savoirfaire

Please don't play the nutrition police. Even junk food is ok in moderation. Besides, not every 4-year-old will willingly eat quinoa for breakfast. (Although, with some apples, cinnamon, and maple syrup, it's delicious!)

7. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

It was a joke. Don't get so defensive.

8. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Yeah, but few as delicious. Eggos make for a quick, tasty breakfast. I often grab a few to have at work in the morning. In fact, I just had a homestyle one a few hours ago with my juice. :)

I would be sad if they became difficult to come by 'til the summer.

9. savoirfaire macrumors 6502

savoirfaire

If that's how it was intended, then I apologize, but it did come off as being more obnoxious than joking. There is something to be said for a well-placed smiley. Just trying to defend the op from the "backseat parenting" that is so prevalent.

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Forget him, I'm disappointed!:p

11. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

People really don't know how to cook them from scratch anymore?
    :confused:

12. savoirfaire macrumors 6502

savoirfaire

It's just so easy to get them frozen or to buy a mix these days. BUT, seeing Alton Brown's waffle lesson on Good Eats did inspire me to make them from scratch, and they are SO much better!

13. mscriv thread starter macrumors 601

mscriv

Thanks for the support. Joking or not eawmp1 your point is well taken and every good parent knows that "all things in moderation" is crucial to providing a good education for your child. Another thing good parents know is that keeping up with kids requires flexibility and spontaneity. Of course "from scratch" is better and in some cases healthier, but it's definitely not as fast as the toaster when your alarm didn't go off and you're late trying to get out of the house in the morning. :D

And to savoirfaire, my wife loves Alton Brown.

14. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

I don't really have a kitchen at work where I can cook anything "from scratch." A microwave, toaster and fridge are my only tools. And when I only have 5 minutes in the morning to grab something and go, I don't really have time to cook anything, then, either. Of course I prefer home made waffles and pancakes. However, that's not going to happen during the week. The weekday morning is my enemy.

15. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

You can make a bunch on the weekend, and freeze them yourself really easily.

16. savoirfaire macrumors 6502

savoirfaire

As I read that, I totally heard Martha Stewart's voice in my head.

17. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Maybe....but I need to get a waffle iron first. You're on the right track, though. I often take leftover french toast from the weekend to work on Monday or Tuesday. I "purposely" make sure I have some extra french toast left over just for this reason. :D

I always prefer food that I make myself. However, the point is, it's always good to make sure that you have some frozen prepared foods on-hand for emergencies/last minute needs. Eggo waffles serve that need in a delicious way.

18. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

My problem with home-made waffles is that when you're living alone, a batch of waffle batter makes a LOT of waffles. Last time I made a batch, I was making waffles for breakfast *and* bedtime snack for an entire week, and I was beginning to get sick of them toward the end...

19. ezzie macrumors 68020

ezzie

Can't you just halve or quarter the batch? ;) When the BF and I make ours on Sundays, we halve the recipe and get 4 normal-sized waffles.

20. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Yeah, I think I'll do that next time.

There's also the issue of once you open a box of Bisquik (or a bag of flour, for that matter) you gotta use it within a period of time... I guess the bottom line is I need to do more baking in general ;)

21. Scippy macrumors regular

Or you could also just freeze them.

22. ezzie macrumors 68020

ezzie

More baking is always the answer! :D Yeah, if you use Bisquik (we use the Heart Smart kind) just keep it in the fridge and it stays good for a few months.

That too. :) I've never frozen leftover waffles or pancakes...I should try that.

23. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

Am I the only one wondering at this part of the quote in the press release?

Since when does a high production line in this technological age get cloesd indefinitely for repairs?!!

- Was there a massive death that the site is closed to respect those that died (staff, children)?
    - Was there a specific outbreak of cholera, or other such disease that cannot be cleaned without using bleach solution that also would affect food quality and water supplies nearby, by flushing the bleach out?

This part of the press release has me wondering.

Still waffles are pretty big in a lot of breakfasts ... imagine this occuring in Belgium ... you'd have a civil war ready to brew.

24. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

Oh I'm sorry, you should have heard Alton Brown. Where the idea came from (see reference to this show in previous comment)

25. carlgo macrumors 68000

Try Bob's Red Mill brand mix. 1/2 cup mix, 1/2 cup water (crispier than the optional buttermilk and it already has it in the mix anyway), 1 egg, a spoonful or glug of oil and that is all. Mix it up and pour it into the iron, which by now is hot.

This makes 3 waffles, so multiply this as you wish.

The first couple time times I used Pam spray on the iron, but haven't for months. I guess it has enough oil in the mix plus residual on the iron. Doesn't stick at all.

Each iron is different, so the setting will be too. Once you get it down, then it is good.

In the measuring cup, I put in a pat of butter and syrup, real maple being the high-end choice, and melt it together in the micro while the waffle is cooking. Gives good butter flavor without the need to have too much of it.

I have this down so good now that the first waffle goes out in 7 minutes!