Leggo my Eggo! Kellogg fights waffle shortage

mscriv

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Better stock up now: Kellogg's predicting national Eggo shortage until middle of 2010.

Kellogg Co. says there will be a nationwide shortage of its popular Eggo frozen waffles until next summer because of interruptions in production at two of the four plants that make them.

The company's Atlanta plant was shut down for an undisclosed period by a September storm that dumped historic amounts of rain in the area. Meanwhile, several production lines at its largest bakery in Rossville, Tenn., are closed indefinitely for repairs, company spokeswoman Kris Charles said in an e-mail.

It will take until the middle of 2010 before shelves around the country are stocked at pre-shutdown levels, Charles said.

Already customers are noticing near-empty Eggo shelves on the freezer aisle at many grocery stores.
Link

My 4 year old son is going to be dissapointed! :(

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Gee, how will America survive? I mean, it's not like there aren't 76 other brands to buy. :rolleyes:

savoirfaire

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2003
New England
Maybe you can introduce him to some HEALTHY breakfast options.
Please don't play the nutrition police. Even junk food is ok in moderation. Besides, not every 4-year-old will willingly eat quinoa for breakfast. (Although, with some apples, cinnamon, and maple syrup, it's delicious!)

savoirfaire

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2003
New England
It was a joke. Don't get so defensive.
If that's how it was intended, then I apologize, but it did come off as being more obnoxious than joking. There is something to be said for a well-placed smiley. Just trying to defend the op from the "backseat parenting" that is so prevalent.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
It was a joke. Don't get so defensive.
Just trying to defend the op from the "backseat parenting" that is so prevalent.
Thanks for the support. Joking or not eawmp1 your point is well taken and every good parent knows that "all things in moderation" is crucial to providing a good education for your child. Another thing good parents know is that keeping up with kids requires flexibility and spontaneity. Of course "from scratch" is better and in some cases healthier, but it's definitely not as fast as the toaster when your alarm didn't go off and you're late trying to get out of the house in the morning. :D

And to savoirfaire, my wife loves Alton Brown.

Antares

macrumors 68000
People really don't know how to cook them from scratch anymore?
:confused:
I don't really have a kitchen at work where I can cook anything "from scratch." A microwave, toaster and fridge are my only tools. And when I only have 5 minutes in the morning to grab something and go, I don't really have time to cook anything, then, either. Of course I prefer home made waffles and pancakes. However, that's not going to happen during the week. The weekday morning is my enemy.

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
I don't really have a kitchen at work where I can cook anything "from scratch." A microwave, toaster and fridge are my only tools. And when I only have 5 minutes in the morning to grab something and go, I don't really have time to cook anything, then, either. Of course I prefer home made waffles and pancakes. However, that's not going to happen during the week. The weekday morning is my enemy.
You can make a bunch on the weekend, and freeze them yourself really easily.

Antares

macrumors 68000
You can make a bunch on the weekend, and freeze them yourself really easily.
Maybe....but I need to get a waffle iron first. You're on the right track, though. I often take leftover french toast from the weekend to work on Monday or Tuesday. I "purposely" make sure I have some extra french toast left over just for this reason. :D

I always prefer food that I make myself. However, the point is, it's always good to make sure that you have some frozen prepared foods on-hand for emergencies/last minute needs. Eggo waffles serve that need in a delicious way.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
My problem with home-made waffles is that when you're living alone, a batch of waffle batter makes a LOT of waffles. Last time I made a batch, I was making waffles for breakfast *and* bedtime snack for an entire week, and I was beginning to get sick of them toward the end...

ezzie

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2006
Baltimore, MD
My problem with home-made waffles is that when you're living alone, a batch of waffle batter makes a LOT of waffles. Last time I made a batch, I was making waffles for breakfast *and* bedtime snack for an entire week, and I was beginning to get sick of them toward the end...
Can't you just halve or quarter the batch? ;) When the BF and I make ours on Sundays, we halve the recipe and get 4 normal-sized waffles.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Yeah, I think I'll do that next time.

There's also the issue of once you open a box of Bisquik (or a bag of flour, for that matter) you gotta use it within a period of time... I guess the bottom line is I need to do more baking in general ;)

ezzie

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2006
Baltimore, MD
Yeah, I think I'll do that next time.

There's also the issue of once you open a box of Bisquik (or a bag of flour, for that matter) you gotta use it within a period of time... I guess the bottom line is I need to do more baking in general ;)
More baking is always the answer! :D Yeah, if you use Bisquik (we use the Heart Smart kind) just keep it in the fridge and it stays good for a few months.

Or you could also just freeze them.
That too. :) I've never frozen leftover waffles or pancakes...I should try that.

DeepIn2U

macrumors 604
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Am I the only one wondering at this part of the quote in the press release?

Meanwhile, several production lines at its largest bakery in Rossville, Tenn., are closed indefinitely for repairs, company spokeswoman Kris Charles said in an e-mail.
Since when does a high production line in this technological age get cloesd indefinitely for repairs?!!

- Was there a massive death that the site is closed to respect those that died (staff, children)?
- Was there a specific outbreak of cholera, or other such disease that cannot be cleaned without using bleach solution that also would affect food quality and water supplies nearby, by flushing the bleach out?

This part of the press release has me wondering.

Still waffles are pretty big in a lot of breakfasts ... imagine this occuring in Belgium ... you'd have a civil war ready to brew.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
Try Bob's Red Mill brand mix. 1/2 cup mix, 1/2 cup water (crispier than the optional buttermilk and it already has it in the mix anyway), 1 egg, a spoonful or glug of oil and that is all. Mix it up and pour it into the iron, which by now is hot.

This makes 3 waffles, so multiply this as you wish.

The first couple time times I used Pam spray on the iron, but haven't for months. I guess it has enough oil in the mix plus residual on the iron. Doesn't stick at all.

Each iron is different, so the setting will be too. Once you get it down, then it is good.

In the measuring cup, I put in a pat of butter and syrup, real maple being the high-end choice, and melt it together in the micro while the waffle is cooking. Gives good butter flavor without the need to have too much of it.

I have this down so good now that the first waffle goes out in 7 minutes!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.