Legit Adobe on ebay. Does it exist?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by davekrz, Sep 13, 2009.

1. davekrz macrumors newbie

I'm in a tight money crunch (who isn't these days) and i need to get a version of Adobe CS4 Design Premium asap. It runs for about $1800, but i found a lot of companies selling it on ebay around $800 brand new (so they say). Most of them have 100% positive feedback and good reviews by people who have bought from them, but $1000 less than retail feels way to good to be true. I know there's a high probability that it's fake, but if the feedback is legit, I don't care. Just so long the software works, I'm fine with it. Anyone know anything about this? Is it possible that the feedback is bogus?

ooooooooor...anyone know where to get legit adobe software at a bargain?

2. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

These companies are probably selling the academic version, from the sounds of the pricing. There are some legit companies out there... AND some fly-by-night companies. I've seen both when two friends bought CS4 (academic version -- they're both students at an accredited university).

The first friend bought from a company who sells to school districts and universities all over the U.S. No problems there. The second friend bought from an unknown company. BIG problem! Adobe refused to validate the serial number provided by the second company, and none of the other serial numbers that vendor gave would work. Friend lost a lot of time and aggravation on the phone (and email and postal mail) between the vendor and Adobe, as well as dealing with credit card company for a chargeback.

I realize money is tight, but do not allow it to overpower your money-wise common sense. They aren't all bad out there, but you HAVE to be careful, discerning, and know the company's full history as well as who their major satisfied customers are. The best deal out there will be the academic version. Are you a student in school or a faculty or staff member? In some cases, elementary/middle/high school qualifies and sometimes, also even parents. Or, depending on your scruples, do you know a qualified person willing to buy on your behalf?

Whatever you do, research the fine print of any potential offering and the company's background.

3. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

That's also a very dangerous way of looking at it. It is too easy these days for someone with a clear financial interest to being a shill by planting lots of positive comments. I see that stuff regularly. It's hard for the average person to discern sometimes because the shill is betting on the fact that the internet and the world is so large that you wouldn't ever know anyone who posts comments nor cross tracks with them. The vendor knows the first thing that any reasonable prospective buyer will do is check their online reputation. Thus the shill comments...

If you feel there is a high probability of it being a fake or otherwise less-than-legitimate, shouldn't you listen to what your spider sense is telling you and research them further to find hard, actual proof of legitimacy instead of just taking someone's word for it?

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've been doing some research and there's a long thread or two (maybe its a stickie I forget) over on the adobe forums, warning people to avoid buying photoshop/creative suite on ebay.

the reason is that Counterfeiters, and pirates are the majority. I recently saw an auction for PS CS4 for about 400 bucks, I emailed the seller (who had a powerseller account and high feedback) and asked him how he can sell this "legit" copy for so low. I was interested but I go by the old adage if its too good to be true, then it probably is.

From what I've read counterfeiters have gotten quite good at making the packaging look quite real and provide a serial that may or may nor work but you may have issues activating it.

While there are authentic sellers, you have to be extremely careful, they need to provide a certificate of transfer and generally the going price isn't going to be terribly low.

5. JTTech macrumors member

JTTech

You don't want to buy one of the Student Editions of Creative Suite 4 from an online auction, because Adobe specifically prohibits reselling of those editions:
    Adobe Student Editions FAQ
    "The end user may not transfer or resell ownership of the Adobe Student Edition License."

Also keep in mind that once you get the software, Adobe requires you to submit this form: Adobe Academic Verification Form to verify your student status.