Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

driechers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
So here is whats up. I am in the process of building an app that i would like to upload to the appstore. The thing is i am not using a mac to build my app. I am compiling native on my ipod with the iphone toolchain. Is there a way that i can obtain a legit code signature for my app without the use of a mac nor xcode because i have neither?

jnoxx

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2010
Aartselaar // Antwerp // Belgium
I think there is no freaking way, just being honest.
If you know the strict lines of Apple. There is probably not a chance.
Because you have to request via Keychain etc. Which is not avaible on a Windows.
u could try to install a Hackintosh on a laptop/windows pc I think.

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
I'm pretty sure even if you did have a Mac and only built with the iPhone toolchain and not the official SDK your app would get rejected. So what you're doing won't be accepted at all. You're essentially building a jailbroken-only app right now.

Not only do you have to sign it on the Mac, but the only way you can upload it is on a Mac via Xcode (4.x) or the App Uploader tool (for Xcode 3.x). So if, in theory, you could build and sign the way you're doing it, you still couldn't upload it.

driechers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
Aw man i tried to get a hackintosh going a while ago. It was a pain. Say that i have a friend with a mac with xcode. i assume that when i get completed with my app i can just borrow his macbook and plug my code into xcode then follow apples instructions to submit an app. Is this correct? Do you think apple would reject an app if it had an interface built in the code rather than interface builder? Does the signature reference anything relating to the owner of the macbook?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Interesting. Are they highly dynamic UIs, or did you just find IB to be a PITA?

When I built the first one I just couldn't get IB to do what I wanted (which was weird as I have no trouble with it when building Mac OSX software). The second one has a lot of custom UI components (although they don't look like it) to get the colours of text and background I want in the navigation bar, search bar cancel button and so on. So it was just easier to build it in code. The actual navigation stack and so on are quite dynamic as they depend entirely on a scrape of a Wiki.

amorya

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2007
When I built the first one I just couldn't get IB to do what I wanted (which was weird as I have no trouble with it when building Mac OSX software).

I completely agree!

I've just started a new project, and it doesn't even have a main Xib file. (You can set the app delegate in the main() method and instantiate a window in that.) For some reason, especially for table-heavy apps, IB seems to get in the way: you can't do everything in it (such as lay out which table cells go where in a static table), so you need a mixture of xib and code that just gets confusing.

iOS 5 may be better in this regard…

JLB-UK

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2009
UK
I completely agree!

I've just started a new project, and it doesn't even have a main Xib file. (You can set the app delegate in the main() method and instantiate a window in that.) For some reason, especially for table-heavy apps, IB seems to get in the way: you can't do everything in it (such as lay out which table cells go where in a static table), so you need a mixture of xib and code that just gets confusing.

iOS 5 may be better in this regard…

I do exactly the same initialise a window in the main() no need for the xib file. As for tables, I never create them in IB, I agree you can customise a lot more through the code!

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
I've just started a new project, and it doesn't even have a main Xib file. (You can set the app delegate in the main() method and instantiate a window in that.) For some reason, especially for table-heavy apps, IB seems to get in the way…

I split the difference, use a xib for the main window and an empty first view, then instantiate everything inside the view(s) programmatically. That way, in case Apple changes or adds stuff to their app templates (new iPad resolutions or whatever), my code might be more closely compatible.

Also, and I hope it's not you, the 2 developers who showed me their no-xib apps had really really ugly apps. Hopefully that's not caused by the no-xib mindset.

amorya

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2007
Also, and I hope it's not you, the 2 developers who showed me their no-xib apps had really really ugly apps. Hopefully that's not caused by the no-xib mindset.

See for yourself :)

(Actually, I wasn't the original author of this one, so I didn't make the calls about how to design it — but if I had been, I'd probably have coded it the same way.)

dacapo

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2010
Aw man i tried to get a hackintosh going a while ago. It was a pain. Say that i have a friend with a mac with xcode. i assume that when i get completed with my app i can just borrow his macbook and plug my code into xcode then follow apples instructions to submit an app. Is this correct? Do you think apple would reject an app if it had an interface built in the code rather than interface builder? Does the signature reference anything relating to the owner of the macbook?

Just to make sure the OP understands, yes, you can use your friend's macbook to generate a CSR with his keychain. Keep in mind that the first time around will be quite confusing, so I'd bet it won't be a 30 minute ordeal. But yes, it can be done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.