Legit security request?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ijf440, Oct 25, 2008.

1. ijf440 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I ordered a refurb macbook from Apple the other day. I didn't get a confirmation shortly afer submitting my order as I thought I would. However, I recieved an email (below). I'm not sure if it's totally legit as it says it will cancel my order within 5 days if I don't comply. Trouble is, I was on a ship when i received the mail and don't routinely carry household bills while offshore!!

Luckilly, my job finished early and I can now submit details. Is this request legitimate?

Thanks,
    Ian

2. T-Stex macrumors 6502

I'd call the Apple Store with whatever number is listed on Apple's website. I don't know how the store works overseas, but I've never had to provide any documentation for purchases in the states.

3. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Agree.

This is the best way to verify if the request is legitimate.

4. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Seems dodgy, but a look on Google is inconclusive. Are you financing the purchase? That would seem to be the reason for their request if it's legit.

As others have said, call/email Apple.

5. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

It does not seem legitimate to me, they are asking for some information that shouldn't be shared over the internet at all. I would find a number on Apple's website and call that to confirm the legitimacy of this email. It just seems very illegitimate to me. Do not use the number or website links included in that message, they could lead to fraudulent phone numbers or phishing webpages designed with the pure intention of stealing your identity.

I would never send your credit card or identity information over an internet connection unless you navigated to the page completely by yourself, and feel 100% positive that it is a legitimate site.

What is the worst that could happen if you don't reply, you get your order cancelled? It would just be an inconvenience of several days to a week without your new computer, and if you did reply, your identity could be stolen. They also shouldn't put a time limit on an email like that. I often go away for periods of up to a week, which would mean that I wouldn't get the email until it was too late. I would go to Apple's website yourself (don't use any links supplied in that email), find a number to call Customer Service in your country, and inquire about the message there.

6. ijf440 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies folks - I'll give Apple a ring. I can't for the life of me work out how a fraudster would gather such details as my order ID unless it was an inside job.

I've gone for a refurb MB 2.1 White, 120GB HD, 1GB RAM, for £529 which I think is a very good deal... that's the reason I would like to get things moving swiftly - so I don't lose the deal!

Thanks again,
    Ian

7. ijf440 thread starter macrumors newbie

FYI... I phoned Apple and the request is legitimate.

8. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

Did you phone the number on the email or the normal apple number. I'd sugest you call the regular apple number just in case.

9. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I agree. Make sure you call the number listed on Apple's site and not the provided number. I've never had to provide any information when I've bought anything from them either. Like someone said, it could be because of financing or over-seas.

10. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

I would not send that information over email at any rate. Email is by nature insecure. Also, how do you know that the fax number provided is secure as they say?

It all smells very fishy to me. As others have stated, be sure to call Apple at the number on their website. Don't use the number provided in the email. If it does turn out to be legit I would certainly let them know how reluctant I am to send out this kind of information over an insecure medium.