Lego Apple Store

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by darngooddesign, Mar 6, 2012.

1. darngooddesign, Mar 6, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2012

darngooddesign macrumors G3

I made a Lego Apple Store, and submitted it to Cuusoo. I posted it on here as I figured it would appeal to Apple Fans as well as AFOLs (Adult Fans of Lego).

http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/10142

Cheers.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

If sold as a set that thing would make a killing. Nice work.

3. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Very nice. Can I buy one off you? :D

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

5. darngooddesign thread starter macrumors G3

6. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I voted for it! Thought it was a cool idea! There are actually a few on there that I thought were cool.

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Could you use the 1/3 height (sorry no idea what the correct name is) flat bricks to improve the "resolution" on the logo?

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The one of the facade of the store is too small for that. Looks like it is about 4 studs wide and 3 bricks high. You would not be able to improve that much without making it larger like the skylight one used for the roof.

The angled "roof tiles" the designer used give you slope within a stud unit.

B

9. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I was thinking of not using the angled tiles at all and simply using grey and white flat bricks. 3 to each of the surrounding bricks. This would give you 3 times the vertical resolution for converting the Apple and would give a closer approximation.

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Got that.

The roof tiles in question seem to be of the 1 horizontal unit wide variety. The plates (1/3 brick height flat bricks) only give you vertical resolution. How does that help?

(Unless it's an anti-aliasing/gradient approach to fool the eye.)

B

11. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I think the grey ones are two wide at the bottom, one at the top. So you could still get a bit of a curve/inset going. I'm not sure that my suggestion would improve the look in the space given (which is what you are suggesting I think). But if we used slightly more of the frontage it could be used to give a better logo...

12. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Yeah. Look at the larger roof versions for a better rendering of the logo.

I don't think you can improve on this one at this scale.

Lego Digital Designer won't let me build this the way I believe it was built. (Which may mean I am missing something). The gaps between the white and grey parts of the logo make me believe that part of that is already done with the 1x1x2/3 roof tiles in combination with the 1x2x1 roof tiles.

B

13. camardelle macrumors 6502

That was great! I'd go to a full size store like that in a heartbeat.

14. darngooddesign thread starter macrumors G3

In regards to the facade logo, opinion is swaying towards a decal instead of bricks. This is fine with me because the set is for everyone to enjoy.

There are no 1x1x2/3 cheese slopes. Its made with 1x1x2 and 1x1x3 regular and inverted slopes. The gaps are a result of raising the inverted slopes one plate height, which is the only way to make the two types of slopes work together without increasing the width. The technique of placing slopes on top of eachother and using friction to hold them together, while effective, is what's termed an illegal connection and would not pass Lego's review. I made the facade two studs deep so you wouldn't see light peeking through the gaps.

Cheers

15. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

[Wallace]Cheese![/Wallace]

It looked like there was a 1/3 offset in there, but I couldn't see enough detail.

Unfortunately the decal seems like the way to go at this scale. Unless of course you get those fancy engraved/printed bricks. http://brickprinter.com/default.aspx or went smaller and just used an apple brick. http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?itemID=1826&colorID=5 :p

B

16. jackhdev macrumors 6502

Do you need 10,000 supporters for it to be made? I supported it and everyone else should, too. This is really cool!

17. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

It even brought a smile to my tired old face.

KGB:D

18. iCaleb macrumors 6502

19. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Like that one too; specially with the iPhone 4 as monitor wall in second floor cinema

20. darngooddesign thread starter macrumors G3

Just a quick update:

We're just over 2500 votes. I revised the design so it would be taller, and work better as a stand alone model. Link is in my signature.

21. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

That is amazing! Legos were my favorite toy when I was young. Must have an Apple Store!