Lego Dimensions / Skylanders Superchargers / Disney infinity 3

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by MRU, Aug 6, 2015.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I'm really undecided which of these two franchises to purchase this September/October.

I have had all the Skylanders games and have a stack of skylanders figures - but I am unsure as to whether to pick up Skylanders this year at all and try something else.

Lego dimensions looks great (I have all the lego games) however it seems as though Lego Dimensions will be far more expensive of the two. A starter pack is €149 here alone in Ireland compared to €75 for Superchargers.

Indeed the starter pack and initial level packs, along with characters to unlock each of the game worlds will initially set me back around €450 here. That's a heck of a lot of money.

Whereas Superchargers will undoubtably be costly too the fact I have so many existing characters which will all work retrospectivly in the new game means in theory I should be able to get away with spending far less overall (likely half as much).

So conflicted .....# First world video-game toy problems.

I have given up on Disney infinity. V1 was only ok and V2 was so poor that even if V3 is fantastic - I've lost all interest despite it being starwars.

Anyone else getting either of these or Disney this year?

2. s0nicpr0s macrumors regular

s0nicpr0s

My fiancé and I had played the original Skylanders and were quite relieved when we had completed the set (except for most of the recolored special ones and the legendary versions), but haven't played another in the series since. We're a little intimidated to at this point since we missed the last three releases and all of the new features since then. Considering playing Giants, but that's about it at this point.

We're looking forward to going with Lego Dimensions this fall. All of that cross-series goodness... Doctor Who, Harry Potter, Portal, Back to the Future, and god knows how many more will be announced yet. Truly holding out hope for the Lego Marvel to make an appearance, but doubtful due to Infinity =/ Our wallets will truly be tired after this game is released.

Edit:
    I am interested to see how many Amiibos will be implemented not the Wii U version, and if they may work on the other platforms whatsoever. I think I've only seen Donkey Kong and Bowser announced so far.

3. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah I'm swaying more towards Lego dimensions just for the sheer variety too. Ghostbusters, Dr.Who etc ... Even Wizard of Oz.

In the end I'll probably get both, but dimensions is certainly more appealing currently.

4. s0nicpr0s macrumors regular

s0nicpr0s

That it is. We haven't tried the Disney Infinity series just yet, but we've talked about it before. The thought of yet another toy based game is frightening, but it'll just be too difficult to pass up Dimensions. I'm happy to be making a serious dent into the Amiibos, so then it'll just be the new waves I have to worry about.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm really itching for Nintendo to release an Infinity type game with Amiibos. Bundle it for free with all NX systems and let the figures be the unlocks like Infinity... like an evolved Nintendoland in a GTA type hub zone.

But yeah! I'm getting more tempted by Skylanders by the day. I don't think I'll ever make the leap, but I like that it exists and other companies are following. Ie, Lego Dimensions. That could be the big one for me if Nintendo don't make one.

6. Khalanad75 macrumors 6502

Khalanad75

The cost for Lego Dimensions is the thing making me shy from it. My kid really wants it though.

We have Disney infinity 1 and 2, and just like MRU, I am disappointed with it. The gameplay could be so much better, and to me the toybox isn't fun at all.

We have Skylanders swap force and trap team, so superchargers will most likely be the no brainer. I still play it with my son all the tie. I just honestly wish they would make one portal for all of it. Sucks having to swap portals every time you want a different game disc.

7. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah the portal thing is a pain in the backside and why no universal 'wireless' portal too. Seriously if you are buying for multiple systems wouldn't make sense to at least supply a wireless charger with starter pack that can be used universally and then the game could be purchased and downloaded digitally separately. Actually Disney Infinity at least offer this digital game only. With trap-team I ended up with three starter packs and three sets of same characters simply because I wanted the game on XB1, Wii-U & PS4.

I too still play SwapForce and Trap-team - there is actually so much to do in those games even after story campaign is over that deployability is great :)

8. s0nicpr0s macrumors regular

s0nicpr0s

Are you talking specifically about the Skylanders games? I know that that is something that's helping to keep me away from going back to it is the need for separate portals for each game. I think Giants uses the same as Spyro's Adventure, but everything else has released some new feature.

Although it will cost more, I believe I read that the Lego portal will carry forward into future games. They already seem to have some neat features built into it such as colored lights and different zones. Only thing I could potentially see is creating bigger figures that would take up more space than the center spot would allow.

9. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

That would be good, especially considering its a higher price starter pack than the other games.

Talking of price ... Gamestop Ireland its €150 for the lego starter packs and €39.99 for the level packs !!!! Amazon Germany its €99 starter pack and €29.99 for the level packs .... I worked it out that the starter game and level packs (plus couple of fun packs) in Ireland will cost me over €450 from Gamestop here and yet only €300 from Amazon Germany, and we have similar VAT rate so it's not even tax that is the differentiator ? Solution ... I'll order from Germany :) and use the saving to justify buying Skylanders Superchargers as well :D

10. Khalanad75 macrumors 6502

Khalanad75

Skylanders games each have their own portal. They can read characters that are made for that game and backwards, just none in the future. So swap force will read swap force, giants, and spyros characters, but not trap team. Trap team will read them all. Thing is, the portal goes with the disc play, and those have to match up.

Infinity is the same way. Some backwards compatibility, but no forward. You would think they would design these things for a simple firmware update to be able to read the characters, but hat wouldn't make them as much money.

11. Khalanad75 macrumors 6502

Khalanad75

It could also be simply Gamestop. They do generally like to charge higher prices, even here in the US.

12. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

I think its probably because unlike central europe Ireland has a tendency to bring things in from UK suppliers rather than Europe itself. So with the Euro being low against UK pound it also adds to the cost here and we have higher tax rate than UK too.

Its annoying that countries were we share the currency get it cheaper. Thank heavens for Amazon.de :)

13. s0nicpr0s macrumors regular

s0nicpr0s

I'm glad you figured out a cheaper way to get it at least. Paying a little bit more than 1.5x what we'd be paying for what is the same game is just crazy. The import from Germany is much better in that regards. Do you know if most things work out similarly, where the UK (or Ireland specifically) has to pay that much of a premium?

14. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah it's a general thing and affects everything from clothes to food.

15. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

So picked up Skylanders Superchargers starter packs in wii u, 3ds & ps4 and all available starter characters and vehicles. 350 euro down in one day with lego dimensions launching next week eek. Must say I'm not bowled over by the quality of the Nintendo crossover figures.

16. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

I'm fighting the urge to buy LEGO Dimensions. I've recently fallen head first back into LEGOs so this could be super expensive for me.

And as weird as it sounds, I don't have the portal or game for Infinity, but I've picked up a few of my GF and I's favorite characters. I'm pondering getting the 3.0 game just to get Ahsoka Tano.

17. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah I swore I'd only buy one series and given the great reviews the starter pack has been getting I know I'll end up with dimensions and unable then to resist Sampsons portal and back to the future level packs. I don't even like Dr. WHO but like the look of the lego Dr. Who which is madness.

Played a good few hours on the skylanders games yesterday. Great fun. The 3ds game is not a port of the main game. It's an entirely different standalone racking game more akin to Diddy Kong Racing on the N64 or Sonic Transformed Racing from couple years back.

The main game is very inventive this year. Best level design yet.

18. s0nicpr0s macrumors regular

s0nicpr0s

So MRU, does it seem like the Bowser/Donkey Kong figures are more akin to the Skylanders figures than Amiibos? I saw them in stores, and noticed they have more of the mass produced look than the other amiibos. Very detailed looking, but not hand painted.

And at least you haven't touched Infinity this year yet. Although Lego will prove to be just as pricey...

19. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yes the characters themselves look fabulous in the wii u version it just the toys lack some quality.

Actually the characters in superchargers don't feel as inventive as those in Swap force or the trap team games. But it's hard to tell with so few new characters released right now.

Yeah dimensions will be very pricy. The starter packs are €150 here in gamestop !! However Amazon Germany sell it for €99 so I'll buy them from there.

I saved over 120 euro on skylanders superchargers stuff by buying from Germany rather than Ireland.