Leica D-Lux 4 or ACD 24"?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ejuanpiman, Aug 29, 2009.

1. ejuanpiman macrumors member

Guys so I'm between a Leica D-Lux4 http://us.leica-camera.com/photography/compact_cameras/d-lux_4/ or a 24" ACD. Currently I have a 15" uMBP mid 2009 which I would use with the screen and I also have a 20" iMac that I share with my mom and my sister. I want the cinema display because bigger screen would be for better use of the laptop, however the camera is something I have been wanting to purchase because it is a hobby I would like to really get into. I am currently a biology student and I basically use my computers to surf the internet and stuff like that, obviously at times to write papers and fulfill class requirements. Anyways any input would be helpful, thank you.

2. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

If I was to put myself in your shoes, I'd get the camera first, especially since you have great desire to learn photography. A bigger screen is great, but if you can live with your 15", you can wait a longer while. But let me tell ya, once you go to a bigger screen (30" in my case), you just don't know how a 15" can ever be sufficient for anyone.

Also, if you are really interested in photography, I'd go straight to a dslr. For the price ($800USD on Amazon !?!) and reviews I've read about the D Lux 4, it is a total rip off. Expecially when the Panasonic version LX3K is the exact same camera for a lot less. For your money, I'd start with a Nikon D40, a used D90, or a Canon Rebel. I wouldn't spend that much money to learn photography on a compact camera.

So if I was to choose between a DSLR or a 24", I'd choose a DSLR in a heart beat. Please don't get the D Lux 4, get a DSLR. Or just get the Panasonic LX3K and stick the Leica emblem on it.

Hope this helps a little! :)