Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joemod

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
Athens, Greece
Leica posted a really nice video of their lenses' manufacturing process. It really tempts me to buy one although I can't afford it (don't neet it also :) ).
What do you think?

p.s. I searched the forum and did not find a topic about this. Sorry if it has been already posted.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
I've marvelled at the fact that my Summicron which was is 51 years old still feels amazingly precise with no slop in the movements at all. It's certainly built to last. Solid metal construction throughout. The only plastic is the little red dot for aligning the lens during mounting!

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
I've marvelled at the fact that my Summicron which was is 51 years old still feels amazingly precise with no slop in the movements at all. It's certainly built to last. Solid metal construction throughout. The only plastic is the little red dot for aligning the lens during mounting!

Well, almost all lenses that old are probably like that. What's amazing is that Leica still uses this same manufacturing process today, when most companies have opted for cheaper, faster methods that don't produce as high quality lenses.

jabbott

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2009
Very neat video. I'm surprised by how much hand assembly they do for their lenses! There was another video posted a while back that showed how Canon manufactures their 500mm f/4L lens... here is the link.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.