Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gnd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
At my cat's house
This full frame rangefinder looks very impressive.
The Online Photographer had a great article about the size comparison to other full frame and 4/3 cameras on Monday.
And of course dpreview.com has a hands on preview as of 15:00 central european time today :) (check out their logo in the top left corner ;))

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
Hm.

See, I love my M7 TTL with a passion, but I'm unconvinced by Leica's move to digital - the M8/8.2 was a bit of a balls up, and the M9 looks better, but not perfect. I'm not sure I like the controls (or lack of) on them - I get that Leica's should be sleek, but digital requires buttons and that fact should be accepted and then made to work, not by trying to cram many functions onto as few buttons as possible.

I'm sure IQ will be great however. Personally, I won't bother with one, as I think my EOS 5D Mark II/1D Mark III and associated lenses will serve me better. However, I'll keep rocking the M7 for film, and probably always will.

Padaung

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2007
UK
IWOOT! I love my CL, and I wish I could afford to enter the Leica digital world, but for now it will have to remain on the wish list along with the Ferrari and Sunseeker yacht :cool:

Pocket lint

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2009
In my trousers
I wonder when the M9.2 will be available.

I know, it sounds ridiculous, but the M8 has a perspex (i.e. plastic) front on the display, whereas the M8.2 has a sapphire glass front. And from specs it turns out that the M9 will also come with a perspex front. 5000 british pounds and it comes with perspex - as easily scratchable as my phone? I think not.

Other than that, I'm about to begin saving my money. :D

BanjoBanker

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2006
Mt Brook, AL
I have been debating with myself the purchase of a M8.2. Well that arguement is over! I am going to have a "hands on" with the M9 as soon as my local dealer gets one. This may have become my next new toy! Sorry Nikon. no D3x for me now.:(

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
It looks exquisite, it sounds stunning, and yes, the agonising debate whether one should mortgage body or soul in order to be able to afford one seems just about to start...I look forward to actaully seeing and handling one. And one can always hope...and dream....and save.....

Cheers

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
Excuse my ignorance I'm new to photography, but what makes this camera so much better than the others besides the aesthetics? I also know Leica makes some pretty astounding lenses, but I'm talking strictly body stuff.

Pocket lint

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2009
In my trousers
Excuse my ignorance I'm new to photography, but what makes this camera so much better than the others besides the aesthetics? I also know Leica makes some pretty astounding lenses, but I'm talking strictly body stuff.

It's a full frame range finder.

Or in other words:
It's a range finder. It's full-frame.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America

I don't think better is the word.

A rangefinder in itself is a much smaller camera, that means the lenses are smaller, giving a photographer a system which is much smaller and lighter.

A leica itself is very small and a very silent machine. The SLR is seen as a tank camera wise and if you have pro gear it basically is.

Leica got its reputation from photojournalists for being so discrete and dependable. Some people are still using M2's they are that good.

You also have to hold one as well in order to understand, look on wikipedia for a full history as well of the system incase my description didn't do it any justice.

BTW, the M8 should have been the M9 when it first debuted.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
I don't think better is the word.

A rangefinder in itself is a much smaller camera, that means the lenses are smaller, giving a photographer a system which is much smaller and lighter.

A leica itself is very small and a very silent machine. The SLR is seen as a tank camera wise and if you have pro gear it basically is.
That's the biggest advantage: rangefinders are much less conspicuous than dslrs -- especially (semi-)pro dslrs with pro lenses. Just try and shoot covertly with a pro body of your choice and a 70-200 mm f/2.8 lens ;) People behave like deer seeing headlights ;)

Pikemann Urge

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2007
melbourne.au
I think my EOS 5D Mark II/1D Mark III and associated lenses will serve me better. However, I'll keep rocking the M7 for film, and probably always will.

Sorry Nikon. no D3x for me now.:(

I don't direct my comments at the above posters, but at those reading this thread: SLRs are not a substitute for RFs (rangefinders) and vice-versa. You can't say, "Hm, can't afford an M9, may as well go for a 5D/D700." They have nothing to do with each other.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London

Beyond the size and the exquisite M-glass, it's a different way of working. It's suits you or it doesn't. For those of us whom it does suit, the DSLR often holds little interest.

FWIW, I have been using an M8 for some time and won't be upgrading anytime soon given the expense. My M8 is a fantastic tool. If I were starting fresh, however, the M9 makes a lot of sense, even if it requires a lot of cents. To be honest, the lenses are what really cost some coin. I'll probably get a used M9 after the next iteration comes out. I can't see spending that kind of money on a digital body given the way electronics become obsolete (in the marketplace's eyes) so quickly.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
I just made a schoolboy error.

Just because the camera is smaller, doesn't mean the lenses will be smaller.

The lenses are smaller because there is no mirror plate inside a rangefinder, that means the lens sits much closer to the sensor and the optical designers can take advantage of it. It is more complicated than that but thats it in a nutshell.

Surprised nobody has corrected me already, oh well thats good! :)

To be honest, the lenses are what really cost some coin. I'll probably get a used M9 after the next iteration comes out. I can't see spending that kind of money on a digital body given the way electronics become obsolete (in the marketplace's eyes) so quickly.

I would have thought it wouldn't cost so much because electronics depreciate so quickly. Anyway, over on lightstalkers.org, a discussion is underway and a poster has pointed out that there is already a 6 week wait for the M9.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
I just made a schoolboy error.

Just because the camera is smaller, doesn't mean the lenses will be smaller.

The lenses are smaller because there is no mirror plate inside a rangefinder, that means the lens sits much closer to the sensor and the optical designers can take advantage of it. It is more complicated than that but thats it in a nutshell.

Surprised nobody has corrected me already, oh well thats good! :)
Not to mention that you will typically use primes rather than zooms -- which are smaller as well.

iPhoneNYC

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2007
Has Leica not noticed a world wide recession? How does a company target a camera with lens for ten grand to the marketplace?

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Well I once asked an uncle who used, promoting and selling Leica cameras, why do people use these?

His answer was (the usual thing associated with Leica) Lens, Color and simplicity, build quality. Besides that, he mentioned that for street photography, Leica will give you the quality without having people noticing you. He gave an example, try go to China and take photos of the street market, some of the owners will ask you to leave if you take out your DSLR, whereas when you take out a Leica, they don't even bother cause it looks like a very old camera. :rolleyes:

Padaung

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2007
UK
Has Leica not noticed a world wide recession? How does a company target a camera with lens for ten grand to the marketplace?

The same reason Ferrari, Rolls Royce and Mclaren launch new cars - they produce luxury/high end products and there will always be people with enough money to buy them! When most of our driving lives are spent crawling along streets in traffic jams and speed limits of around 70mph on the motorway no-one actually needs a car that can go along at 210mph, but damn, we all still want to own one.

Leica is the Rolls Royce of the camera world.

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
Hmm it's funny cause all I do is street photography. It appears that maybe years down the line when I'm much better, maybe even a pro, there might be a Leica in my camera bag. Thanks for the info guys.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America

Well they didn't include the Crystal Sapphire display in order to save on costs so I think they did notice. Now it just has a normal acrylic screen. :)

And because its Leica and nobody else makes Digital Rangefinders period.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Well they didn't include the Crystal Sapphire display in order to save on costs so I think they did notice. Now it just has a normal acrylic screen.
Yeah, kinda suck that the removed the crystal sapphire display considering the price increase of the M9 :rolleyes:

Experiment13

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2004
There have been a number of good reasons mentioned as to why the Leica rangefinder is a good camera. Mostly, I think it is that it is small, very fast, unobtrusive, and makes extremely good images. A camera that one can take anywhere and shove the lens in a persons face during a conversion and get a picture without them even noticing it.

Specifically:
images are better because of the close lens to sensor distance,
The shutter is very quiet,
The viewfinder is bright, always open, and one can see around the photo,
Rangefinder focusing lets one focus exactly where they want,
Much faster than an SLR when taking a picture & no shake from a mirror,
Small and it goes with me every day,
Leica does not use an anti aliasing filter--better sharpness than Nikon/Canon,
Colors are different, although may not be as accurate,
Uses the best lenses in the world--Leica, Zeiss. Many Canon users don't use Canon lenses, but choose Leica R or old Contax/Zeiss SLR lenses for IQ,
and the Leica M just feels good in the hand.

Nonetheless, I have a Sony DSLR w/Zeiss 85mm f1.4, etc. for times when the Leica doesn't work: like very low light, Macro shooting, telephoto work, etc. But, I love shooting the Leica M8 and seeing the incredible images the most.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.