Lemon product.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by seeforyourself, Feb 9, 2019.

1. seeforyourself macrumors regular

Hey guys, long story! I own a 2017 top end MacBook Pro 15" that I purchased used 6 months ago. I bought it off ebay from a shop for 2k (originally 4k) and it included apple care+ from the last owner. Unfortunately it has the HORRIBLE keyboard issue. As soon as I bought it, it had the issue with the space key being funky.

Since I live in NYC, I just brought it to an apple store instead of contacting the ebay seller. Apple replaced the keyboard and it was good for about 2 weeks until one of the keys were acting up again, so I went back and they were able to fix it with compressed air. 1 month later, the issue came back and instead of bringing it back to the apple, I tried fixing it myself with compressed air and tried taking the key off (big mistake). I wound up breaking the key. brought it back to apple and they replaced the keyboard AGAIN. 2 months later (now) my key AGAIN was getting stuck. I do admit, I eat snacks around my computer, but I have done so for every computer I've had and never had this issue.

I have also been experiencing a problem with 2 out of my 4 usb C's being loose. My right usb c port is so loose that I am forced to use further usb c because the closer one just slips right out if I change position of the couch. I am forced to wrap the charger around the other side even though its so awkward sometimes - not okay. I brought it back again with the hopes of them fixing the usb c port. They said it will be replaced with the keyboard along with the whole top case, but I explained to him that the SAME ports were having issues prior to the last repair, but then he took it as if I was questioning his expertise and got rude with me, so whatever.

Got the laptop back last night and it turns out they replaced the whole top case AND display due to "distortion" (Probably something happened during repair because it was fine) and when I went home and looked at the screen, I noticed a cluster of dead pixels in a spot on my display, along with the USB c port being EXACTLY the same, no difference. Also, my E key gets stuck if I hit it on an angle.

I heard that they replace the whole laptop on the 4th time with a new computer, and I know that the 2018 models are a lot better in terms with reliability, BUT I am kind of sick of apple now. Is it possible to get a "refund"? I really don't feel like going through the troubles of selling it on craigslist or Ebay, or getting ripped off by apples trade in. I really want to get a windows computer now and not a newer version of this.

Thanks

2. PROFESS0R macrumors regular

I would speculate that because you bought the computer used from eBay, Apple will not refund anything for your computer.

3. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68030

Mr_Brightside_@

Absolutely no to a refund.
    Get it repaired until they CRU it with a newer model, then sell that yourself.

4. internetrando macrumors regular

internetrando

Get it repaired under the keyboard program.

If it isn't fixed, keep getting it fixed. Eventually you can complain and maybe get a new one. Try your luck.

5. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

Such are the hazards of not buying "Apple-new or Apple-refurbished"... (sigh)...

6. sunapple macrumors 68000

sunapple

Honestly, it sounds like to you, selling it would be less trouble than getting it serviced again. And the result would be better too, using the money to buy a machine that suits you better. The whole thing sucks either way though...

7. lbalk macrumors newbie

. One of my coworker is bringing his MBpro 15 in for the 5th time.

8. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

LOL... Typical of Apple and its product issues. Can you just ask for a 2018 model as an exchange over a refund?

9. seeforyourself thread starter macrumors regular

If I sell it on EBay I will deffinitely get a negative review. The way the screen is right now will be a dead giveaway, along with the keyboard. If I resold it the way it is now, I’d have to heavily discount it.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 10, 2019 ---
    I’m honestly done with this MacBook Pro. I found out that’s it’s not worth the money.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 10, 2019 ---
    Is this for the same exact issue? Also what year is it (if you know)?

10. Donnation macrumors regular

Donnation

OP unfortunately you aren’t getting any type of refund. Your best bet is to take it to Apple again and see if you can it the entire laptop replaced with a brand new one. Then, if you so desire, you can sell it and make some money off of the whole ordeal and get the laptop of your choice.

11. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I agree with some of the others. Apple will not refund you. According to Apple policy, you have to return the item to Best Buy. If Best Buy will not abide by their policies, then you ask Apple to step in.

Always buy direct from Apple, as they have the best return policy and warranty coverage etc.

12. seeforyourself thread starter macrumors regular

It was originally bought from the same apple store as I got it serviced 2 out of the 6 times at. I live in New York City, so there are 8 apple stores around me in a 10 mile radius. I own a car here, so I go to the apple store with closest availability.

13. SDColorado macrumors 68040

SDColorado

IF Apple would be willing to replace the entire machine, either with a new or refurbished model, selling that replacement still sealed in box should be worth more than 2K you paid for that one, so hopefully you will come out ahead rather than behind a the end.

14. zchrykng macrumors member

zchrykng

I feel your pain. I stupidly purchased a 2018 refurb because I thought I had heard that the keyboard issue was fixed. Started getting doubled "t"s 20-30 days after the return window closed. Everyone at Apple "feels my pain" and "understands my frustration" but can't/won't do anything to let me just get my money back for this horrible piece of junk.

15. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I'm contemplating on picking up a 2018 MBP, the one that sells for $2399. I hear its better; even you had mentioned the built is better that previous year models. I would at least try and exchange it for a 2018. Show all your receipts. Apple should exchange it since you still have Apple Care.

16. zchrykng macrumors member

zchrykng

All I have to say to that is "Good luck". I have an 2018 and it isn't any better in my experience.

17. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Really? Ugh... I have a 2011 MBA that I need to upgrade. I'll keep resuscitating it and hope it can go another year for a 2019 MBP refresh.

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd say this design is Apple's poorest, whether we're talking the keyboard, coil whine, T2 crashing and now flexgate.
    'Flexgate' Display Issues Affecting 2016 MacBook Pro and Later

If no redesign occurs for the 2019 model, I would not hold out hope that much has changed. In all fairness to apple, the T2 crashing seems to be largely resolved and the coil whine was only affecting a smaller subset of users.

19. happyhippo1337 macrumors regular

In all fairness, I have tested two units that I owned myself and several others in stores, and each and every one of them had coil whine. The ones I checked in store were standing in a pretty loud environment. So I'd say it's more wide-spread than you think ;)

20. seeforyourself thread starter macrumors regular

Oddly enough as picky as I am with attention to detail (although this last repair was a disaster), I have not noticed the coil whine. Maybe everyone has different sensitivity to sound, thus is why some people hear it and others don’t?

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My 2018 didn't have it. The laptop was whisper quiet. I had a number of people tell me that I had the issue but I wasn't noticing it. I'm pretty satisfied that my MBP had no issues with coil whine

22. zchrykng macrumors member

zchrykng

I've mainly been hesitating on jumping ship because I really like macOS and doubt I would go through the pain to switch back if I jump.

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I use and support windows, so for me a transition was fairly easy. In fact for me, using a windows laptop actually makes life easier for me. I've always preferred macOS and still like what it has to offer but the hardware issues being reported on the 2016 -> 2018 models are so much that its not worth it for me to gamble. I know there are plenty of happy users, and that's great. I'm not knocking them, but for my peace of mind, a windows laptop made too much sense.

24. Queen6 macrumors 604

Queen6

Would need to be something spectacular which is highly unlikely as Apple don't produce sensible solutions for many professionals these days. As long as W10 keeps out of may way I'm fine with it as it's certainly far more stable, with Mac's becoming ever more less usable.

For me the computer is an important tool and I just don't want to deal with Apple's current nonsense simple as that. As long as windows and the associated hardware perform there's very less reason to purchase more Mac's and that firmly sits with Apple...

Q-6

25. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

I would recommend making another appointment for service. When you arrive and meet with the Genius politely explain your previous problems and request the manager so the three of you can discuss your options. Tell them that you are not satisfied with the repairs to date and that the latest effort really has you discouraged. Tell them that you would like to pursue the option of replacing the current machine with a new 2018 equivalent. If you are firm, but polite you have a decent chance of getting what you are asking for. If you do receive a replacement then it is up to you whether to continue with Apple or selling the replacement.