Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

morrisman1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
mate spilt lemonade all over his MBP. he had a silicone keyboard cover on it

turned it upside down on a towel straight away, took out power and battery.

i took it apart and got stuff off the harddrive, left it to dry out for two days and then put it back together. Turned on and is all operational (apart from the sleep light and IR sensor, i ripped the ribbon cable taking it off the HDD :mad:

after about ten mins of running the screen backlight died. we turned it off, it was off for about 2 mins, then when turned back on it was going again, and now after 5 mins its off again. Would this be the inverter? the screen is going but no backlight

any help or advice would be appreciated. thanks

edit: it is running a cpu stress test currently which will heat up the hinge where the inverter is. brightness is set to 0 bars so its not trying to turn on. My thinking is that it will heat the hinge enough to dry out any moisture that may have been in there.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think you were a little premature in not letting it dry for an extended period of time. I'd let it sit there for a couple of days, then disassemble it and see if the residual in the computer - caustic citric acid and sugar

My only advice is to let it sit there for a while (days) and then clean it up and see what happens.

Personally if its doing that, it does sound like something shorted out and your only option is to have apple repair it

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
As it was stated, "caustic citric acid and sugar". You're toast.
You can try to clean it and let it sit, but overall I think there will be quite a few issues stemming from the spill.

redshovel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2007
I would have left it to dry for several days before attempting repairs. My experience of spills on laptops is that 'just water spills' often can be dired out with no lasting damage. But when whenever 'coke or coffee' is spilled its usally turns out worse and often marked 'sold for spares' :(

zmttoxics

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
edit: it is running a cpu stress test currently which will heat up the hinge where the inverter is. brightness is set to 0 bars so its not trying to turn on. My thinking is that it will heat the hinge enough to dry out any moisture that may have been in there.

That sounds like the wrong idea.

The truth here is that Lemonade has sugar in it, and sugar will eat at the electronics. The bored should have been cleaned with rubbing alcohol and left to dry for a week.

Anyways, I hope it works out, its sad to lose computers to liquids. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.