Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NeoCool

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2011
Any tips tricks to revive my Macbook Pro.
I have a 13" Macbook Pro, Lemonade has gone over it.
Imediatly powerd off and put upside down.
Thats were im at.

Any recommendation please.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
You need to put it in rice, get the moisture out, clean it very well ... you're talking sugar and acid. It doesn't sound good.

PS this is in the MacPro section. ;)

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
The MacBook Pro in my signature suffered a similar fate recently when a glass of orange squash was poured over it. It was covered by AppleCare, but sadly Apple declared the machine dead due to logic board failure as a result of liquid damage, and consequently not covered by AppleCare.

Thankfully the damage was covered by my insurance company and I have a new MacBook Pro on the way. :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Give that your spilt citric acid, you'll want to clean it up pretty diligently.

Good luck

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
If you can't get the Mac running again, and even if you do, that acid will almost certainly cause more issues down the line...Check your household contents insurance for accidental damage cover. As posted above AC will not come to your rescue in this instance.

shmonkus

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2012
United Kingdom
As a hardware engineer, I work on a number of situations like this very one, and this is what I would do to fix it. Remember, as the liquid spilled is sugar-based, even after drying immediately, it will leave a conductive sugary residue behind, which is just as bad as having water on the board, so drying will NOT fix the issue. This is why laptop keyboards stick and never work properly after spilling this type of liquid. As the battery is an internal battery, don't be tempted to switch it on until the below has been actioned:

If you are brave enough, consult ifixit to take the system board out of the chassis. Purchase some electronic cleaning fluid that is 100% alcohol-based, and dose the whole board with it. This will help lift up and soften the residue, which you can (carefully) wipe away using fibre-free cloth or kitchen roll.

While the chassis is open, look for any remaining residue and wipe that up as well. As for the keyboard, depending on the location of the spill, you may need to take a hit and order a replacement keyboard.

Failing that, claim on insurance :)

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Don't drink liquids while using your MBP:eek:
The 20/20 hindsight response finally arrives. :)

If you ever watch old video footage of NASA's mission control from the early days... those guys in crew cuts and skinny have all kinds of beverages and ashtrays strewn all over their consoles. :eek:

So, if it's good enough for NASA... :D

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
So, if it's good enough for NASA... :D
I used to work in a mainframe computer room where smoking and drinking was allowed - that is until one of the other computer operators set the waste basket on fire with his cigarette

On topic, I'd get a laptop stand/cooler that raises the laptop off the desk and don't have any beverages near it. I have my coffee on my desk, but my MBP is off to the side and on a cooler so if anything gets spilled, the MBP is not in the line of fire.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.