Lend Me Your Ears!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by solaris7, Jun 5, 2008.

1. solaris7 macrumors regular

The BTS promotion just made it a bit harder for me to make a decision.
    Initially, I thought that I would get a macbook and a psp slim(for my gaming needs). However, now the "almost" free ipod touch 8gb ($28 extra) seems to be a better deal.
    I am not a hardcore gamer, and I am not really interested in games such as crysis but might give cod4 a try. This is where the macbook pro comes in. I will also be able to play CS on the mbp. Added to this, I could top up $228
    and get a 16gb ipod touch. However, I am not too sure the ipod touch can pass time as well as a psp, which is a great device for passing time.
    Total cost = $3016 ($2204 USD)
    Another choice, is a black macbook with integrated graphics. I am not too sure whether it can run CS well, this is from my experience with integrated graphics. A 8gb ipod touch to go along for an extra $28 and a PSP loading with a 8gb memory sick. However, I have to admit, hacking and using the PSP afterwards, looks to be much harder than jailbreaking an ipod touch. However, since i am mainly going to use it for movies, games, music, i somehow feel 8gb is nearly not enough.
    Total cost = $2676+($1957 USD)
    The "problem" however is that, i really like the bigger real estate on the mbp and find it to be very portable. Along with better speakers, cam etc.. it just makes the decision so much more harder!!!!!
    Since you guys managed to get this far, I would like to throw something else in. I could ditch all of the above, get the mbp in mid-august when i go to university in the US. Where, i can get the mbp+16gb ipod touch+apple care for around $2000 USD.
    Or, a macbook+16gb ipod touch+psp slim+apple care for about $2000 USD.
    The problem is, I have used tiger but not leopard and will not have the "free" time to test it out.
    Your views plz :)

2. xhambonex macrumors 6502a

I like your last option. I am not familiar with hacking a PSP? but I find that using it for movies and games in inconvenient because you have to buy special disks. I think the ipod touch, you can use itunes to manage your movies music, and use your mbp as a base station. Keep most of your files on the computer and sync up to your touch with what you need for certain circumstances, you don't need all those movies on a device at once...I just feel like you'll get more out of the mbp, especially if you are trying to play some games on the computer.

3. amoda macrumors 6502a

Too lazy to do the math (sorry!) but what about this scenario:

Wait till mid-august buy a mbp+iPod Touch+applecare. Sell the iPod Touch, try to get within $50 of pre-tax price, then buy the psp slim.

By selling the touch you bring the cost of your mbp close to mb prices, it'll still be more expensive than a mb, but not that much more.

Or you can forgo AppleCare at the moment then buy it within a year of your purchase. So you can get the MBP+psp (after selling the Touch) in mid-august. Then before mid-august simply purchase and activate AppleCare then, since I assume you would have money available due to summer job or whatnot.

4. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

CFW (Hacking is completely different, this is actually Cracking) is pretty easy, you just need a Pandora Battery and Magic Memory Stick. Not as easy as a Touch.

Also, i use my iPod Touch about 200 times more than i do me PSP, i only have 3 slims for modding purposes :p

5. Super Intendo macrumors regular

Personally i'd go with the upgraded MBP (will run games better, i have a black book and it runs counter-strike [assuming you mean source, not 1.6] at less than 25 fps which for a game that fast-paced is not enough. I've never been satisfied with my macbooks performance in the games department.) and an 8GB touch. Realistically, you dont listen to all those gigs of music i'm sure you (like most other people) have, so 8GB is really plenty, and it will allow you to play upcoming games on the go and get that upgraded MBP. :cool:

6. solaris7 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies guys. I have decided to go with the mbp option. However,
    I don't know whether I should buy it now or in the US, where its a few hundred dollars cheaper. I have a little bit of experience with tiger but not with leopard, so I am wondering whether the transition would be smooth if I buy it in the US.

7. xhambonex macrumors 6502a

I think that if you have used a mac before, you will do just fine on any of their operating systems. The trick is learning all the fancy stuff...leopard is great, don't worry you'll transition fine.