Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uiop.

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
So I'm taking my Unibody MBP to the Apple store tomorrow because the ethernet port decided to fry itself. How long will it take them to fix this? Few days?

The screen also flickers on occasion, but I doubt I'll tell them that because I fear the repair time will be much longer.

Aniki

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2008
Tell them the screen flickers sometimes... for a full repair it took them a week from sending it off to getting it back at my house :D. Just wait

uiop.

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Hmf.
Dumb question...I was trying to schedule a Genius Bar appointment online today and they didn't have anything available at the time I was planning on going. Will I be able to get serviced without an appointment?

uiop.

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Update: I'm at the Apple store now...they just took the MBP. :(
They're sending it to Texas for logic board replacement.

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario

They really had to send it to another state for replacement? wow...

When I took mine in to get my logic board replaced, they ordered the logic board for me, a few days later it came in and I got a call to drop my computer off, and then after I dropped it off 3.5 hours later I got a call saying it was done and ready for pickup.

uiop.

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
They really had to send it to another state for replacement? wow...

When I took mine in to get my logic board replaced, they ordered the logic board for me, a few days later it came in and I got a call to drop my computer off, and then after I dropped it off 3.5 hours later I got a call saying it was done and ready for pickup.

>:0
Damn. I wish my Apple store would have done that. It doesn't make me feel too great that someone else will have my Mac for nearly a week. Plus he said they will most likely have to remove the Invisbleshield that's on it.

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
>:0
Damn. I wish my Apple store would have done that. It doesn't make me feel too great that someone else will have my Mac for nearly a week. Plus he said they will most likely have to remove the Invisbleshield that's on it.

Well, that actually kinda makes sense, seeing as they have to remove it to get to the screws right? But everything else, I just let the genius know that I can't be without my computer for that long, so he let me keep my computer while they ordered the part in. What I don't understand though is why they had to send it off to a different location... :confused:

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Well, that actually kinda makes sense, seeing as they have to remove it to get to the screws right? But everything else, I just let the genius know that I can't be without my computer for that long, so he let me keep my computer while they ordered the part in. What I don't understand though is why they had to send it off to a different location... :confused:

Can't really say, but you have to consider volume of repairs needed. Something like a logic board replacement would be shipped out to a service depot during times of high volume where as something like maybe replacing the SuperDrive or HDD could be done regardless of volume.

uiop.

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI

No, the Invisbleshield has holes cut on the bottom for the screws. Who knows what will happen.

As a side note, I think that one Simpsons episode is wearing off on the younger kids because I heard a kid saying he wanted a "Mapple Mypod." I had to bite my lip and try not to laugh.

isaki87

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2008
Santa Monica, CA

I had the same prognosis (logic board), and it took them 3 weeks (screen flash, and backlight flicker issue) to diagnose and repair my MBP, and they didn't replace the logic board, they replaced the display... and the issue persisted after I received my computer, and they're gonna replace it for me.

I hope your repair goes smoother than mine. If they replace your display, like mine, kiss your invisible shield goodbye... I had to.

uiop.

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
I had the same prognosis (logic board), and it took them 3 weeks (screen flash, and backlight flicker issue) to diagnose and repair my MBP, and they didn't replace the logic board, they replaced the display... and the issue persisted after I received my computer, and they're gonna replace it for me.

I hope your repair goes smoother than mine. If they replace your display, like mine, kiss your invisible shield goodbye... I had to.

Gah. I didn't bother mentioning the screen flicker because it's only happened a few times and I feared it would take a long time to repair...like yours. Sorry to hear that. :(

gsampson

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2007
Mine MB just went to TX to get fixed. I dropped it off Wednesday night before they closed and the genius said it would take about 4-5 days. Just check on the repair status and it should be back at the store Monday by 1030am. I think that was pretty quick. They wouldn't have shipped it out until Thursday, fixed it Friday with next day delivery. By the tracking records, they shipped it back out Friday with next day for me to get it back on Monday. Speedy if you ask me.

uiop.

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Well...it's been sitting at the Apple store since yesterday morning.

Step 1 - Request
Shipment to repair center pending (15-Mar-2009)

My peripherals are collecting dust. :p

Attachments

• Wiresmall.jpg
    Wiresmall.jpg
    802 KB · Views: 59

uiop.

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Bump...

Checked online and it says it's at the Apple Store. So I'm just waiting for them to call me.

To answer my original question- it takes four days to replace a logic board. :)

Crash1234

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2008
My late 08 MBP had the same exact problem as the OP, Ethernet port not working and was sent in for a logic board replacement. I sent it in on Monday and got it back on Wednesday, shockingly fast.

Eyedn

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2009
Of course it doesn't, they just deal with a lot of repairs in store therefore quoting the 5-7 days.

uiop.

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Ugh!

MacBook Pro is going back to the Apple store next week when I get back from vacation. All these are issues that I've noticed since I got the machine back.

-the wifi antenna/black "thing" under the screen is loose and occasionally snaps when I open the screen.
-the battery cover is loose beyond my repair
-the fans constantly are revving up and down; very annoying to listen to.

You think they'll replace it with a 2.66Ghz? I hope they can just swap out my HDD and I'll bet set.

uiop.

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Here I am, one month after taking it in the first time...left without my MacBook Pro again.

I took it in for a loose battery cover and screen hinge, but last night the ethernet port decided to fail once again. The genius just wanted to order a new battery cover and ignore the screen hinge issue until I told him about the ethernet port. He said he was going to do me a favor by mentioning the loose battery cover/screen hinge in the write-up for the ethernet port. Ridiculous.

I'm not saying I should just expect a new computer...but one would think it would have been easier to just replace the darn thing.

And ironically, I'm typing this post on my mother's early 2008 MBP with a failing nVidia graphics card. Ha.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.