Length of time for Apple to send part?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by skitzogreg, May 13, 2009.

1. skitzogreg macrumors 6502

skitzogreg

Does anyone know how long it takes for Apple to ship a replacement part to an authorized repair center? I have had issues with my MBP top case, and the center said they placed the order for the part on Monday. I called today and the part hasn't arrived, and I am aware it has only been a couple of days. How much longer should I wait before I give the tech a call back? I figured Apple parts arrive overnight, but I could be mistaken.

2. madog macrumors 65816

madog

2 days at the very least depending on time of day ordered (if I remember correctly, the cut off time was early, around 3pm for an order to ship same day), then anything after that (a week at most with items in stock). The most likely scenario is that Apple is out of stock on said part which could vary extremely depending on what computer and what part. I've seen a week, a few weeks, and a couple months on ETA for out of stock parts on old machines.

As a authorized center, we couldn't do anything to speed up the process as it was solely in Apple's hands, unless we lied and claimed to be the customer (which got old really fast). The best we could do would be to give the customer the repair order number and Apple Care number, to query their repair and the ETA on the part, and then be nice but firm about a much delayed ship time. Most of the time Apple would miraculously find a part to ship the next day after speaking to a customer, and some other rare occasions (with really nice people, and ridiculously long ETA's) the computer would be replaced if no part was due for months.

3. skitzogreg thread starter macrumors 6502

skitzogreg

I wish they could have just ordered the part and called me when it came in so I could then give them the computer. I'm a grad student (with summer classes starting Monday) and I will seriously need the computer back. Granted I have my wife's Dell, it's just not the same. As for replacing the computer, I have a feeling I'm not the only person who isn't too keen on the look of the new MBP, or more specifically, the glossy screen.

Thank you for the info. Any other thoughts are much appreciated.