Lengthy Talk With 02 Store Manager

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iDanielbk, Nov 8, 2007.

1. iDanielbk macrumors member

I was in my local 02 store yesterday, i was talking to the store manager for a good half and hour and Wow! what he said really schocked me, He told me that we will definatley see a 3G iPhone in Jan/Feb and told me to watch the Keynote as there is some Major news on iPhone v2

On another note, Apparently 02 had bin in talks with apple about the iPhone about 2 months after it was announced and staff were never told about this.

Dunno if this is big news to anyone, But i w as shocked (if it does go ahead) to know that apple will Release a 3G iPhone 4 months after UK Launch

2. Leemo macrumors 6502

Leemo

He was making that up. He doesn't know anything.

3. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

If this is true... a lot of people will be pissed off. Then again, I am happy with mine, so unless anything significant happens, I won't bother with one. 1.1.1 is great :)

4. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

Total BS. He doesn't know anything, he's just making a half-informed guess. There's likely to be an iPhone v2 in the first half of next year, but whether it's 3G or shaped like a giraffe is a complete guess.

5. metoo6000 macrumors regular

Did the O2 store manager told this to you?
    Strange... I doubt he knows such information...

6. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

So an O2 store manager knows what apple are about to announce? ot likely IMO. If he did know that then he's just broken NDA and won't be a store manager for much longer.

Doubt it to be honest. January is a bad time to release anything - everyone is spent up after christmas and all the half price sales are on. iphone has only just been released here and there's no reason for apple to kill the sales by announcing something so soon.

7. iDanielbk thread starter macrumors member

I was chatting for ages, This might be an american thing them getting 3G but i did think that it was to soon

Btw an extra bit of info

02 are selling iPod touches on launch night aswell.

8. Devil's Refugee macrumors 6502

I call BS on the Manager. Since when does a store lacky know more than Apple staff anyway. After speaking with a nearby O2 store here they're all clueless ****wits, already moaning about having to stay behind for the 6:02pm opening.

Pure speculation that everyone on these forums has already talked about. With the iPhone having a staggered launch across Europe in the next 2 months there's no way they'll sell a 3G iPhone in January. At worst, they'll do the same as they did last year and announce it for sale in the US market for July 2008, meaning a Euro launch next November.

Perhaps an incremental bump in storage, but then I expect the Touch to get a likewise bump so people who want more storage for their music/ video etc will always go for the Touch over the iPhone (as well as not wanting a phone in the first place)

9. pscoble macrumors 6502

This is total BS why would a random O2 manager know anything? Most people who actually work on these products don't know that information. The next iPhone won't be released until at LEAST April (or even talked about most likely) probably even more in the summer time frame though.

10. iDanielbk thread starter macrumors member

IMO its probably likely they will do this in america and we wont get it till around summertime!

11. earthsick macrumors regular

I guess this needs to be said once again now that the iPhone is being released in other countries:

DO NOT BELIEVE THE THINGS CLUELESS WORKERS AT ANY AT&T/O2 STORE TELL YOU, THEY ARE TOLD NOTHING.

Thank you.

12. DogcowUK macrumors member

I had a lengthy chat with an O2 manager today too, he told me version 2 of the iPhone would be out on April 1st and would incorporate a new feature to let you make free calls called "The String Network". Apparently you get an accessory called the "iCup" with iPhone 2.0 that attaches to the phone and allows you to access the network, it's meant to be great but you have to be in line of sight with the person your talking to with no obstacles inbetween... oh and you have to shout really fricking loud the further the person is away.

:p

:)

13. snapper07 macrumors 6502

LOL love it maybe i'll wait till 1st of april and get one! will the i cup be unlock-able?;):p

14. zed2 macrumors 6502a

no it will be locked to the coffee network for the US and tea network for the UK customers.

15. Devil's Refugee macrumors 6502

Right, I'm off to start a new queue at the Regents Street store in London now !
    :D

16. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

S T A R B U C K S

17. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

worth repeating :)

18. wiz2611 macrumors newbie

o2 manager

In response to other comments, I'd spoken to an O2 manager in early summer who told me that O2 had been testing their network for the iphone and CPW would be selling it...

Now Nov is here and his story came true, so perhaps CPW staff aren't as tight lipped as Apple staff on rumours, or perhaps CPW are open with their management team..

19. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

I had a lengthy chat with my O2 store manager today too and what he told me really surprised me!

He was telling me that he was the messiah. Apparently he was hoping to bring world peace this weekend but he's had to put it on hold for the iPhone launch.

He seemed to know what he was talking about.

:rolleyes:

:)

20. earthsick macrumors regular

It surprised no one when it was announced O2 was going to carry the iPhone. It was widely rumored. So is a future iPhone. But any thing coming out of the mouth of a AT&T/O2 employee is just a rumor they heard through the grape vine. Only problem is they pass it off as fact and people believe it because they have an Apple or O2 logo on their shirt. :confused:

21. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

How anyone would give any credence to what an O2 store manager says is beyond me. My experience of O2 staff, both in shops and in Customer Services is that they know jack s**t. (No offence Leemo - you were an exception).

One classic telephone conversation I had with Customer Services a week after the launch announcement in September amazed me: The woman said that she couldn't yet tell me what the tariffs would be, even though I had them displayed on the O2 website before my very eyes!

22. Project macrumors 68020

People high up within Apple often do not know about new products, so your average O2 manager is not going to know anything.

23. helo macrumors member

any new iPhone version would have had to be on the FCC website by now to be released by then. They might announce intention for iPhone 2 at the keynote but it won't happen until this time next year.

24. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

Finally someone who's imagination hasn't run away. Nice to see sense on this topic.

25. timmillwood macrumors 6502a

I have a feeling there will be somthing iPhone related at Macworld in Jan.

Thats why I am tempted to wait and see.