Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Austin M.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2010
Washington
page2_blog_entry13-dsc00536.jpg

With so many battery cases available on iPhone accessory shelves these days, how will you know which one to choose? Lenmar's new iBattery case for the iPhone 4 is yet another iPhone 4 battery case that utilizes a simple and sleek design coupled with the versatility of a slider style case. The Lenmar iBatteryCase for the iPhone 4 features a 1700 mAh battery that sits at the back of the case, a soft touch feel that is very matte looking, and a simple, but stylish two piece design. Can the Lenmar iBatteryCase for the iPhone 4 live up to some of the other battery cases available on the market today? Read on for the full review of the Lenmar iBatteryCase for the iPhone 4 to find out!

Lenmar's iBattery Case is just like any other battery case for the iPhone 4, it has one goal in mind; to charge your phone. Before we begin, let's take a quick look at the packaging that the iBatteryCase comes in. With the Lenmar iBatteryCase you get very basic packaging, which is a good thing, who wants overstuffed packaging anyway, right? When you open the box you will find the case itself as well as a fake iPhone inside the case itself, which interestingly explains the specs of the case through the home screen icons. At the bottom of the package you will find a users manual and a cable to charge the case and your phone simultaneously.

page2_blog_entry13-dsc00548.jpg

Let's take a quick overview of all the buttons and the ports. At the top of the case you have an opening for the sleep/wake button as well as a fairly good sized opening for the audio jack that should fit most cables. In addition, I had no problem when it came to activating my phone on and off with my sleep/wake button. On the side of the case you have one single cutout for the volume buttons and the ringer switch. While the ringer switch was easy to get to, I found that the volume buttons took some effort to register properly. Going to the bottom of the case you have two individual cutouts for the speaker and the mic, a USB input, as well as the thirty pin dock connector itself. As far as sound reproducing out of the bottom of the case, in my opinion, the sound seemed to be a bit amplified, which is definitely a good thing. The USB cable is very small and due to the small size does not take away from the overall look of the case. On the back side of the case you will find a teardrop shape cutout for the camera and flash. I am glad to report that I have had no problems when it comes to using the flash in low light conditions.

As far as the design of the case goes, the iBatteryCase is definitely one of the better looking and minimalistic looking iPhone 4 battery cases. Unlike other cases who have fancy colors and their logos engraved all over the sides and back, Lenmar has taken a different approach and has decided to go with a simple "Powered By Lenmar” emblem on the back side of the case. Another thing to note is that the case is quite thin for a 1700 mAh case. It does not add as much bulk as I thought it would have. The iBatteryCase features a very matte feel type coating that feels very comfortable to hold in the hand, unlike some other hard polycarbonate battery cases that I have tested out.

page2_blog_entry13-dsc00539.jpg

Battery Test
After reading this you are probably dying to know how the battery life of this case stacks up against some of the other battery cases on the market. At 1700 mAh, you get almost a full charge. I let my phone drain too about two percent battery life. After that, I let the phone charge for about an hour and a half or so and came back to find that my phone had charged to ninety percent battery life before the iBatteryCase had been drained of all it’s juice. If my math is correct, your phone will charge about 9/10 of the way, maybe even a full charge if you have the right setting on. While this is still not quite a full charge, it definitely should be enough for the average user to make it throughout the day, wether it be emailing, texting, browsing the web, or playing some games.

Now, with all the great things that the Lenmar iBatteryCase features, there is one letdown, the price. The price of the Lenmar iBatteryCase is currently retailed at $89.95 which is a little bit steep for a 1700 mAh battery case (The Mophie Juice Pack Plus is 2000 mAh for ten dollars more). In my opinion, If Lenmar can lower the price a little bit, I think that the iBatteryCase could definitely prove to be one of the more serious contenders to the iPhone 4 battery case category. The iBatteryCase falls in terms of budget, but what it doesn’t have in price, it makes up for in design, simplicity, and solid battery life.

You can pick up the iBatteryCase at some of the available dealers that are listed on Lenmar’s website description (RadioShack, Staples & Best Buy to name a few). It currently retails for $89.95 and is available in black and comes with the case itself, a manual, and a USB cable to charge the case and the phone simultaneously.

Rating 4/5

AuroraProject

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2008
Right there
Nice review. To me, it's not the most stylish looking battery case. And I agree, it's priced a bit high. The Exolife can be found for ~$55 and it's better looking imo, but lower mah.

Last edited:

Austin M.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2010
Washington
Nice review. To me, it's not the most stylish looking battery case. And I agree. it's priced a bit high. The Exolife can be found for ~$55 and it's better looking imo, but lower mah.

Yeah, I kind of worded that wrong, I mean there is style in simplicity, it's very simple, which to me is very stylish. I don't consider a case to be stylish if it's overpacked with stuff.

papasula

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2008
Just picked this up at Fry's in Sacramento for $35. I will have opportunity to use it this weekend on a golf trip. I will add my 2 cents when I return. Thanks for the review! BTW-I agree with you about the simplicity...I like it!

gotendb

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2012
Hi

Hope you all OK

Just recently purchased one of the Lenmar Battery pack and to be honest they are much cheaper than you have said they were. Guess times do its job.

I'll give you new web site link which Lenmar just re-launched website for individual customers therefore prices are much lower compare to re-sealers.

http://www.batteryworld.com/lenmar-ibatterycase-iphone-4-protective-case-external-battery

Hope this will help more people with a battery life in the future.
S

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.