Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I disagree, but that's cool. I don't think this Moto looks all that bad aside from the front branding. Especially with the back plate. Not a sexy device at all, but seems very functional. I think the Nexus is pretty darn ugly with the visor and huge bezels. But I love it. It is unique. I like unique phones I guess :)

[doublepost=1465575342][/doublepost]

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/06/10/specs-comparison-moto-z-moto-z-force/

As of now, the pair are destined for a undetermined period of exclusivity at Verizon, so, if you aren't a Big Red customer you won't be able to pick one up for a while anyways.

Sounds like no one knows, but I doubt the Force is Verizon exclusive for the long haul. They have the Force Droid Edition. Motorola will just make a Force Pure edition or something like that.
[doublepost=1465575765][/doublepost]

Sounds like they are doing just that:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/0...-dead-moto-z-provides-a-different-experience/

What! That's huge about the Moto X not being dead. So does that mean there will be an update to the Moto X this year? I hope so! I think that would be a great idea for Lenovo to do.

Reactions: jamezr

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Well not just that but, trusted devices, trusted location, NFC, smart dock.... so many ways to not have your phone lock.

But you still have to wake the device and swipe to dismiss the lock screen unless giving specific instructions via OK Google. And when paired with an Android Wear watch, you have to disable always listening OK Google else it wakes every time you talk to your watch.

And to respond to an earlier question about using the fingerprint scanner while docked or on a flat surface... How about everytime I use an app that has fingerprint authentication, such as my password manager? That's pretty damn frequent in my everyday usage.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
But you still have to wake the device and swipe to dismiss the lock screen unless giving specific instructions via OK Google. And when paired with an Android Wear watch, you have to disable always listening OK Google else it wakes every time you talk to your watch.

And to respond to an earlier question about using the fingerprint scanner while docked or on a flat surface... How about everytime I use an app that has fingerprint authentication, such as my password manager? That's pretty damn frequent in my everyday usage.

Stop shopping for apps while you're driving. :p

Reactions: tbayrgs

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Yep. A forever-exclusive. Not to be confused with the standard Moto Z, which is a timed Verizon exclusive.
The Z Force looks intriguing. Thin, good battery, shatterproof display... I'm a Verizon customer but I'm still scared by the VZW exclusivity of this phone. VZW doesn't have a good track record of software updates, especially for their exclusive devices. It's stripped-down Moto Android versus something like Samsung's TouchWiz complexity, but nonetheless Verizon has been bad about their updates. Still feel burned by the Verizon Galaxy Nexus fiasco.

Am I out of my mind for even considering such a device as this?

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
The Z Force looks intriguing. Thin, good battery, shatterproof display... I'm a Verizon customer but I'm still scared by the VZW exclusivity of this phone. VZW doesn't have a good track record of software updates, especially for their exclusive devices. It's stripped-down Moto Android versus something like Samsung's TouchWiz complexity, but nonetheless Verizon has been bad about their updates. Still feel burned by the Verizon Galaxy Nexus fiasco.

Verizon and ATT are the worse at this sort of stuff. If you're already on Verizon, I guess it's not something you can easily avoid anyway, so I guess you should get whatever you like.

I do agree the Force looks way better than the standard Z.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

Just be aware it may be shatterproof but it's VERY VERY scratchable. It's not glass remember, it's a combination of multilayered plastic lenses (like multiple TPU screen protectors) which is no way near as good at protecting against scratches as gorilla glass.

It's only shatterproof. If you drop it on the screen it will not shatter, but it's very susceptible to even simple scratches from things like grit or sand.. Also like the previous X Force, if you do scratch your screen you will end up paying $50-60 for replacement shatterproof lens. Ok that's cheaper than a new screen, but you may be better off buying a better screen surface device and pay for accidental insurance.

Essentially you will still need to buy a screen protector or tempered glass protector to protect the Z Forces screen from scratches.

Last edited:

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
The white version is a dealbreaker with all those unsightly sensors. I wouldn't be able to look at my own phone without hatred.

Yeah, I'm being dramatic, but that bottom bezel... what a mess.

ap_resize.php

Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
The white version is a dealbreaker with all those unsightly sensors. I wouldn't be able to look at my own phone without hatred.

Yeah, I'm being dramatic, but that bottom bezel...

ap_resize.php
Like MRU pointed out earlier........that square FP scanner just sticks out like a sore thumb. It ruins the whole circular design flow of the hardware and software.

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
Now I know more about this whole modularity thing, this looks extremely neat. WAY better execution than LG has, no need to remove the battery with it, no need to restar the phone, no buttons. Just snap on, snap off. And much better availibility. Pretty sure LG still only have 3 available bottom modules after 4 months, and Moto already have 4, plus developer support. And the 4 that they have are much more productive and handy than the ones LG have.

One gripe I have: no capacitive buttons. They could have easily incorporated them into the fingerprint scanner and those two dots beside it, but they missed that opportunity.

Surf Donkey

Suspended
Original poster
May 12, 2015
Last edited:

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004
I do agree that the white model isn't the best. Kinda seems a but rushed jamming all that stuff into the bottom area. The camera hump is almost forcing buyers to get an add-on.

Still like the execution if the add-ons but that whole country and carrier exclusivity deals aren't great for mass adoption...people will just buy something else and by the time it is available the tech will likely have moved on.

By doing so they're gonna struggle with sales and to gain traction. Plus, it doesn't seem like a phone or concept the Chinese market wants, especially with the other options out there for much less.

I'd like to try it but it still feels like the door is open for someone to really do modular well. Then again, it's not here yet so Moto could prove me wrong.

Reactions: jamezr

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Sure, the top bezel. The bottom bezel? The galaxy is way cleaner.
[doublepost=1465675622][/doublepost]I am really curious about the new Moto x now. If they're claiming it's not dead, wonder what they have in store.
I think the white S3 looks better than that white Moto Z pic imho.

I would love to see a Moto X with current gen specs and a FP scanner on the back where the dimple is and camera up to current specs such as the LG G5, S7 edge and HTC 10.

Reactions: epicrayban

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Sure, the top bezel. The bottom bezel? The galaxy is way cleaner.
[doublepost=1465675622][/doublepost]I am really curious about the new Moto x now. If they're claiming it's not dead, wonder what they have in store.
I don't think there is a new X. Essentially they will just continue to sell the existing X as their Mid Range device between the G & Z which means the Z will clearly be more than €600 here ...

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
I don't disgree with you at all as far as the departure from the Moto X. But what was Lenovo going to do? If they just put out another standard Moto phone, everyone would just say..... "well there goes Lenovo/Motorola. they can't compete with Samsung." It wouldn't have mattered if it had the same or better specs than the S7. Just look at the HTC 10. It is arguably the best flagship this year, but it likely won't sell well, because it is just another phone.

While the aesthetics are very off, I do see this as a prototype phone for new innovation. Something they felt they had to to do stay alive. Something the LG G5 tried and failed on first attempt. And for their first attempt, Lenovo has done it SO much better. As long as the pins stay the same on the back and they support the mods in future versions (as promised), this really could take off.

So they had to start making adjustments to design to fit with the mod plan:
1) Overall choice number 1... make it thin : they have to make it thin or any mods will make the phone look like a brick (and some still do even with the phone as thin as it is)
2) Large camera hump : Obviously this is due to the thinness, but I also think it has to protrude more to work with some of the mods attached. And with any mod attached, there is no longer a hump
3) The battery : I am actually impressed the size they fit in there with everything else going on including the mod connectors. Sure it is small, but most all mods have extra battery.
4) Finger print reader : This was a miss. Obviously it couldn't go on the back with the mods. Perhaps they should have just left it off? But then they would have been dismissed on poor security. The one they have is not good though. It should have been a capacitive button like the HTC 10. To have this scanner taking up room on the front but still have on screen buttons is really annoying.
5) The chin and bezels.... again, due to space. But I do wish there was space in there for navigation (see above)
6) No headphone jack. There is an adapter. I could personally care less about this. Might be a dealbreaker for some, but Apple and Samsung will be doing it in the next couple of years as well. So get over it.

Perhaps they should have made this a different phone and kept the X. But obviously Lenovo didn't see potential there and put everything into one basket. If this gets any traction, there will be a second revision, and I think it will be greatly improved.

The biggest mistake they made is Verizon exclusive. But perhaps the subsidies from that helped seed the prototype planning. But the issue is that when the "pure" edition comes out in Fall, it is against the Note, the Nexus and devices will be getting N. This is confirmed it will still ship with MM unlocked. So it will be in the rear view mirror for many.
Completely agree with everything you said. I would probably be buying the base phone if it was available now on AT&T or T-Mobile, but it looks like it'll at least be fall (at which time I'll be looking at the next iPhone, Note, and nexus) and even then might not come out for either carrier.

And really, if your going to put the fingerprint sensor on the front and have a chin, put some capacitive buttons too so we don't have the on screen buttons taking up extra space.
Everyone says "Apple needs more innovation" ..... Samsung made a water proof phone... "Look at that innovation!" a curve on the screen.... "Amazing!".

Then here comes Lenovo with a ready-to-be-sold modular phone. Way better than the G5. Better than what we have seen from Project Ara.... this is true innovation. And the response is, the finger print scanner should be circular?? Oh good, now Samsung can learn from this and improve Touchwiz? Huh?

And then they show off working bendable and fold-able phones. That is freaking amazing! Imagine if Samsung or Apple had that kind of presentation. People would be busting a wad all over this place. So much brand bias around here it is just laughable.

People get mad that I hate on Samsung and Apple aroudn here. This is exactly why. Anyone who tries anything that is not Samsung or Apple just get a cold shoulder. But then when Samsung or Apple eventually do it, which they will, it is the second coming.
While there are some that are biased, the reaction is more because of execution and support.

When Apple released the finger print scanner on the iPhone, they weren't the first I remember my Motorola Atrix having one. But Apple executed it the best on both hardware and software that until this past fall no body else could emulate. Samsung wasn't the first to release a phablet or a stylus with a phone, but they still do both better than just about anyone on both the hardware and software. When someone else can do that same type of execution and support then you'll see the same type of hype, but until then people will nit pick the faults of a great idea.

If Apple did this modular idea, you know there would be a crap ton of modules coming out within the next couple of months, and even apps that would take advantage of these extra modules. You know it would be baked in and supported on future iPhones too.

But here it's like an experiment. Yes, it's much better than LG's implementation, but how much 3rd party support will it get? How much software support will it get? Will Motos future phones use the same modules or will they be model specific?

And those foldable phones and tablets, when are they going to be available? How much will they be? What's the software look like on those? How durable are they? Those are basically concepts, while cool, have a lot of unanswered question to get hyped up about right now. And yes, if Apple showed something like that off people would've been "busting a wad" because they would've also given us a software tour, spec sheet, feature list, pricing and availability, and given references to how 3rd party developers could make software for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Surf Donkey

Rangomango

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2012
Lot of hate on this this thing, but I'll stick my neck out and say I kind of like it.

My biggest thing with android phones is finding one with decent hardware and close to stock software. The nexus 6p is the only one that fits the bill and sadly the camera still isn't all that great and it has some heft. I am used to my iphone 6 and oneplus x.

Its nice to see a phone with a massive screen only slightly larger than the iphone 6/6s. If the camera on this one is good, I might make the switch. They also have moto connect for chrome which allows me to send/receive messages from a desktop. One of the main reasons I am still on iOS. I know there is other software that does this, but with push bullet charging, I am not sure if anything is as good.

Also don't forget verizon LTE phones are GSM unlocked. So you may be able to use it on your network, but depends on the bands available.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.