lenovo s10 or dell mini 9

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by bobbypotluck, Apr 6, 2009.

1. bobbypotluck macrumors member

I'm looking into this whole hackintosh deal for netbooks. i already have a macbook pro but it's getting banged up from carrying it everywhere. thought i might invest in one of these.

here's the two i'm looking at.

for 350 i a new can get a lenovo s10 shipped with 1gb ram and a 160gb hard drive.

or, for a total of 269, i could buy a refurbished mini 9 from dell for 189, then buy a combo deal from "superbiz.com" for a 32gb ssd and a 2gb ram stick for 89 together. sure it will be refurbished but the price is hard to beat.

I'm aware of the issues with the s10 and the ethernet port, but thats not a problem for me, just wifi is all i need. i'd like the s10 so i could dual boot with such a big hd, but then again that's highly unnecessary. the s10 looks much more sleek in my opinion as well.

also i'm a little weary of the whole DIY on the mini 9 with the ssd and memory upgrade. I'm sure i can find plenty of guides on how to do it, but that will be very labor intensive.

2. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

MSI Wind.

It runs flawlessly with OS-X except for the Line in/Out port.

Comes with a 10" screen, 1GB RAM, and a 160GB Hard drive for 300$

3. bobbypotluck thread starter macrumors member

link for that price?

4. The3nd macrumors regular

Will the dell mini 9 allow the sim card to work under osx

5. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

6. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

I'd have to go with the 1000 series from Asus. They work flawlessly with Hackintosh installs and the new 1000HE has a whopping 9.5 hour battery life. Fantastic for a $450 computer.

7. bobbypotluck thread starter macrumors member

I've always liked acer, but according to this chart (http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2008/12/17/osx-netbook-compatib.html), wifi, video out, and sleep would not work. all of those are pretty important to me. especially wifi. if i pay 450 i dont want to have to go through the work of replacing the wifi module.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'd have to add, also, that so far, there have been some durability issues with the Asus notebooks. I have enjoyed mine a fair amount, but for instance the trackpad button is kind of wearing out (it works, mostly, but it ignores some clicks -- the issue started being widely reported around when the first 701 Eee's got to be about a year old). They've made lots of changes in their hardware, but overall still there are some cheapness issues with things like that on their computers.

9. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

I have a dell mini 9 with wis osx installed. It works great honestly. All though I don't have it, it will work with the mobile broadband natively after following the hackintosh directions.

10. bobbypotluck thread starter macrumors member

the one i'm looking at for 189 dosnt even have a WAN slot or webcam, but neither of those are important to me for a netbook at least.

11. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

I said Asus?

I have to disagree. I've owned a couple netbooks and my friends have 1000 series Eee PCs. By far the best build quality out there I think. Better than Acer and Dell for sure. Can't attest to any others, but the Lenovo S10 looks extremely flimsy to me.