Lens Advice Please

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by nidserz, Oct 23, 2008.

1. nidserz macrumors 6502a

nidserz

Hi everyone,
    I've been hovering around this section as I just got into photography late into the summer.

I have a Canon Rebel XSi (450D) with the 18-55mm IS Kit Lens.

However, I am going back home to Dubai in Christmas and I wanted advice on a lens. I am mostly interested in landscapes, skylines, etc.
    I would like something with a greater zoom as the Kit Lens is doing fine for things further away. I feel the zoom is too little on the 18-55.

I'm a total noob and would like to spend around $300CAD.
    I looked at the 75-300mm lens (Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 II USM Lens) but I heard it wasn't that good. I have heard good things about the 55-250mm IS lense which is a little bit more than what I would like to spend, but if it is worth it I will put in the extra cash.

Just please advise me on a lens you think best suits cityscapes/landscapes with a zoom.
    I am not one to change the lens much, but only when I know I'm going somewhere specific to shoot.

Thanks

2. Ryox macrumors 6502a

Ryox

How much is 300 CAD in British pound sterling or US Dollars?

3. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

4. nidserz thread starter macrumors 6502a

nidserz

^^ Thanks.

I could spend $300 USD+ (Canadian is weak now lol). Budget isn't too big of a deal, just want an idea on what is out there for around $300.
    I will be making a trip to the States so any advice would be great. Thanks!

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

Are you really planning to use a 300m or 250mm lens to shoot "landscapes, skylines, etc." ? Seriously. I ask the question because a lens not "good" or "bad" it can only be matched or not to some intended use. Both, I'd think are un-matched to landscape photography.

Are you trying to shoot sports or wildlife or people? If so there are lenses well matched to those subjects. The more specific you can be about the subjects you might shoot the better you can match a lens to them.