Lens advice

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Hisdem, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Hisdem, Dec 27, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2011

Hisdem macrumors 6502a

Hisdem

Yes, another one of those topics, but please, bear with me :rolleyes:

I'm going on a trip to the USA in January, and plan on getting one or two lenses for my new Nikon D7000. I currently have a 35/1.8, and would like a pair of zooms to fill the range. I've nearly decided on the 16-85 VR, as it seems like a very good performer from what I've read. And on the other hand, I would get it along with a 55-300 VR that is for sale at B&H for $250.

With a budget of around $900, as stated above, what would you guys recommend?

Thanks in advance!

2. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I bought my D7000 with the Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S ED VR II. The nice thing is that it pretty good kit+ lens, and having a single lens makes it easy while traveling.

It is about $850.

/Jim

3. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

I have heard many things about the 16-85, I even owned it once, but it must of been a bad copy because I hated it. I have only ever heard mediocre things about the 18-200 the original and the new version, not a big fan of zoom lenses with huge ranges, but thats my personal preference. Believe it or not, the 18-55VR kit lens is a very sharp lens for not a lot of money, I'd look at that. On the long end I'd recommend the 70-300VR, its a fantastic lens. Both these lenses are my go to lenses and I love them both, they are excellent optically and perform. I understand that leaves a gap from 55-70 but its not something that has ever been an issue for me.

4. flosseR macrumors 6502a

flosseR

I would agree with this.. especially the 70-300 VR lens.. BUT consider getting the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 ... If I wouldn't have the 24-70 already.. that would be the lens I would get. it is tack sharp, priced ok and f2.8 across the range. A friend of mine bought it and I have borrowed it on numerous occasions simple because it is such good performer...

5. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

I second flosseR's suggestion, with a wider aperture, you gain a lot of creative freedom and it allows you to shoot in darker venues.

6. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

One thing to consider, it make sure you get a DX lens. While it might be tempting to go with an FX lens, your focal ranges will not be the same and you might not enjoy the lens as much. Ask your local camera shop guys what they think.

7. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

I can only say what I'm using and what I like and have not liked in the last year or so with two different set-ups. I have the 16-85mm and until I recently received the 35mm f/1.8 it was my everyday lens. Very sharp, good focus and 16mm is nice for landscape, family parties inside or tight spaces. I'm actually going to get a circular polariser for the 16-85 and even invest in some filters as I like the lens that much. At the long end, 85mm is a nice balance on that lens and of course covers more than the 18-55 kit lens which is nice not having to change out a lens unless absolutely necessary.

As far as the 18-200mm goes, I have had that for some time as it was a nice travel lens and all in one lens at the time. Very good for what it is and does but it is a backup lens at this point since I have been using a different set-up with better results being longer reach.

For distance I'm using the 70-300VR but if it's not something standing still to a point or if it's tripod mounted I don't use the VR on it so cost can be less on the non VR unit with good results. I like this lens over the 18-200 and even though they are different I would still go with the 70-300 if I had to start over again. It is really nice for sports and nature in good light or even overcast situations. I do feel it is sharpest around 270-280mm (add 1.5x for the DX measurement) when taking photos for fast moving subjects like at air shows or hockey games.

Since you have the 35mm I think the best set-up is the 16-85 & 70-300 along with the 35mm. That's all I have in my bag as of now and I don't feel like I'd miss anything at an event or for travel. I'd maybe spend any extra on say the SB-700 as that is a nice flash (for down the road of course) even the SB-400 which is around $120 would be a nice addition for a cheap yet good flash that would help better than the onboard unit. Just thought I'd add that again for later use.

I don't think you will be unhappy with this when the time comes for your trip. I have the D7000 (thank you Xmas) and I'm happy with the gear and choices for the price range.

Good luck and enjoy your gear and trip :D

8. Hisdem thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hisdem

Thanks for the advice, guys. The input here really helped me narrow down my options! As soon as I can go to a camera shop, I'll check out the Tamron 17-50 and the Nikon 16-85 to see which one feels better for my use. I'm a bit skeptical about the 50mm end, but f/2.8 does seem pleasing.

Thank you all for the input! :D